Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Paul

Re: Surgery has any one had any success

Post by Paul »

Thanks hd..........Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Robyn you got hert the same year I did. I find your information very intresting and i well start again soon. I stop also. thanks Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Robyn hi where are you from? I'm glad I read your story. Bob
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yeah Paul I just logged on to the site, I do have some round about info on the tricep to bicep transfer.I was told about a guy who had it done maybe 15 years ago, a mutual friend put us in touch and I talked to him quite awhile but I haven't met him yet. He is a dairy farmer down the road a piece. He says the arm goes up and down alright, which it must, to do dairy farmin, thats hard work and I've heard he is pretty tough. He's got a hook he runs with his shoulder, and nothin else since he apparently avulsed the works, but he said the tricep came back after a year and that was it, so they swapped it around to his bicep down at Mayo. He says he seldom notices the pain anymore. If you want me to find out anything else, let me know on a post since I plan to rub elbows with the guy in the next couple weeks. Onepaw
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yes Onepaw please due I would like to talk to him email or on the phone if its ok with him. Is he on the web? Paul
Paul

Post by Paul »

Jenny the site www.tbpiukgroup.homestead.com that you some times talk of. Can you tell me/us more about it? Are we allowed to speak of bad doctors? Or exsperences bad with doctors? Paul
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hey everyone its kevin again i just got my cast of on the 31st Dec after having my ulner-bicep operation on the 11th of Dec and my arm was a little contracted but a bath soon straightened it out and this is the best i have felt in a long time. So now i am soon to be going back to aromatheraphy and physio which i think i beter take easy to start with because the op was only three weeks. Or is it better to start intense physio now????? Aromatheraphy is not only a great thing to have done but it really helps the muscles in my back because as you all know they can get very very tight as mine are now. Proff Birch also said it was a very good thing to get done as it stimulates the muscles so i am quite happy to have it done even if it is £10 for only 30 minutes. Everything is worth a go though.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Hi Paul, sorry about the delay in answering, its a busy time of year for those of us who like a drink!
The tbpi uk group so far haven't had any probs from doctors hassling us about messages, unlike this board which has had problems in the past when a person whose injury was much worse after surgery named the doc on here and kept doing so. The surgeon was told about it and started getting lawyers involved. That's why they are pretty hot about it here. It's a pity, because obviously if there are specific risks to the surgery that's info we all need to share. But naming the surgeon in a public forum goes against laws of defamation and if you couldn't prove your claim (which would be hard without unlimted funds) you could be sued for libel too, and the people who run the message board can also be held liable-cases of defamatory messages even in countries outside the US have fallen foul of US libel laws. My advice to you would be to describe what went wrong for you and provide an email address for those who might want to find out more. Sharing doctors names in private emails for any reason is fine.
Our message board policy at the tbpi site is a little different than here but you'd be on shaky ground actually naming a doctor-if you tell what happened but only name names in a private email there shouldn't be a problem. Here's a link to the tbpi board policy page, the message board is reached by clicking on the words 'message board' at the top of the page. http://tbpiukgroup.homestead.com/boardportal.html You have my sympathy, it's bad enough just having a bpi without getting a raw deal from medics and it seems they have the whole system tied up so there's no redress for those affected-it sucks. Try also www.malpractice.com (i think thats right) a site set up by a guy who got a bpi after surgery-maybe he might be worth contacting.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

sorry-that malpractice site is at this link http://www.doctors-malpractice.com/
Hope this helps. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Paul

Post by Paul »

thanks Jenny !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!{Paul