Tips on getting around with one arm.

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
schmoe90

Re: Tips on getting around with one arm.

Post by schmoe90 »

Rather than duct tape, for the mower I have a (red) zip tie around the vertical bar that comes up to the handle - quite loose. I pull it up, and it holds the throttle bar in while I start the mower, then when I grab the throttle bar, it slides down meaning that the mower is safe again.

I use a lot of masking tape to hold things - it comes off a lot easier, is bright blue, so is easy to see, and tears nicely.
s8n

Post by s8n »

i put rubber heat shrink on my tweezers so i can use them in between my teeth for splinters ect.
daniel
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

I use a child's toothbrush that has a suction on the bottom that keeps the brush from sliding around when I put toothpaste on it.
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Now why didn't I think of the toothbrush with a suction cup? I've been doing it the gross way; dispense the toothpaste onto my tongue and then pick up the brush ...ha haaa! Angela, you still want me to be your room mate?

Using a broom just kills my good elbow. I keep getting tendonitis. So I just bought a battery operated leaf blower. I use it outside until the battery is almost run down and then I bring it in the house and use it to herd what's on the floor into a corner. Then I get the broom and dust pan. My neighbors look at me kind of funnny but I don't care, I love it! I only wish they made them with variable speed ...like power drills.

Also, Scotch brand sells a roll of two-sided velcro that I've just found in the household sectinon of the drug store. So far, I've used it to start the lawn mower and to keep the hedge trimmer button pressed in. Yesterday I used it to help get a sweater on - I got the sleeve on the bpi arm but it was stuck hanging behind my back and I couldn't grab it with the other arm. So I used the velcro to snag it. Not so great for the sweater but it got me dressed and out of the house.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Lol. I don't know now sparrow, you're starting to sound kinda crazy :)
That sweater story was great. There's been a few times that I've almost been trapped while changing a shirt that's not stretchy enough. I just tell myself "You made it through college, you can make your way outta this shirt." So far, so good.
Any tips for folding socks?
Mardelle

Post by Mardelle »

Folding socks...Hmmm

Line the two tops up together on a non slip surface. Lift the bottom sock with my four fingers, while angling my thumb holding the pair in black like an anchor. With a bit ow wrist action I peel the mouth of the bottom sock open while with my four fingers, pushing up both socks and folding and engulfing at the same time. Should look like they are folded and locked together. Not as easy to descible how I do things...loll
This is what I am learning...doing is easier...maybe UTube Video would be cool...do a whole series of tasks for demonstration?? What do you think about this?

With Praise
Mardelle
Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

Great idea Mardelle! I didn't have OT, PT, or a on-armed person to teach me how to do things. I've just sort of figured it out by trial and error. It would've been very helpful in the early days to see how others get by. Even now, there's a lot to learn.
Mardelle

Post by Mardelle »

Hi Sparrow...I agree...I am so happy to learn from everyone who shares...Most is trial and error...and kind of fun too..very gratifying when we climb over an obstacle too and reach a place of understanding and acomplishment or task mastered :)

With Big Hugs..& Gratitude
Mardelle
herff94

Post by herff94 »

I say go for it, Mardelle, I would LOVE to see them!!!!
Dan
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Injured 5/11/86, had just turned 18 yrs old
Evulsed C5-T1
Intercostal into Bicep 10/86

Post by Dan »

Toothpaste directly onto the tongue.....easy, simple, quick!!!!! Who cares if someone else thinks it is gross, it's my toothpaste!!!!

Dan