nerve transfer

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
ashley4

Re: nerve transfer

Post by ashley4 »

i have never head of dr. kozin till i found this sight.
what surgery did your son have with dr. kozin then almost a year ago? did you feel it was successful. that's amazing that its free. how old was your son for his 1st surgery? we have been in contact only with nath b/c our neuorolgist said that is man to to go for the best results due to our daughters severe brachial plexus injury. thank you for your suggestions. i might call to get more info.
Kaiden'smom

Post by Kaiden'smom »

My son had what they call ACR surgery. His shoulder was coming out of the socket, it's arthoscopic shoulder reduction. The surgery was a major success, it's just amazing how much function my son got from it. He was 11 months old when he had his first surgery. Thankfully, he didn't need to have the nerve grafts, he gained back the biceps just in time.
If you look back at the outreach magazines UBPN issues (the old issues are on this site somewhere), Dr Kozin had about 4 pages he wrote about the surgery last summer. Anyway, he's worth looking into. He's an amazing doctor, we really like him. And the fact that we didn't have to worry about the money is also a graet benefit. It's nice to know they have the freedom to do what needs to be done for your child without the pressure of worring if the insurance will pay for it. We are going back in 2 weeks for a checkup. I'm so glad we consulted with multiple surgeons. They all have a little different perspective, you need to make sure you are comfortable with them.
ashley4

Post by ashley4 »

hi gayle, could i have your email to ask you some more ?'s if you dont mind.
3princessesmom

Post by 3princessesmom »

Kristin,

I am so glad that you found this site. Our daughter was born a year ago 8-8-08 after a very difficult delivery resulting in Erbs palsy. We searched for weeks- months after her birth because we soon realized that our home Childrens hospital did not know very much about her condition. We found this site and starting contacting the parents. We, like you had a very difficult time in deciding on doctors for her. We knew that we were looking at her having surgery, nerve grafting, because at 4 months she had regained nothing. My advice to you would be go with your heart- believe me you will know when you meet or talk to these doctors which one you need to choose to follow your child. For us it was Dr. Kozin, she had her nerve grafting surgery in March, it was such a success, and the care there is great! I encourage you to make some phone calls, talk to parents on this site. If you would like to contact me I would be glad to talk with you in more detail. I wish you and child the best.