What jobs/professions do you/have you done

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Master DIVER TOM

Re: What jobs/professions do you/have you done

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I dont want to be right or wrong. I needed to blow off steam because of the issue of Over USE or just another thing thats stops you from trying. You guys are Kind, you know I did not want any one to worry about another person kid or adult to add another thing not to try because of Possible other medical issue of life or the over use issue for sure. We battle to things emotional issues and the some over use issue for Sure! Some people will find a reason not to try because of overuse. I lost my only good arm use from driving a semi not over use. There is a reality of what you reqrate when your life ends? when ever? I am 57 now I over come so much in my life with accomplishments from trying and still do! I fail so many times in a two arm word!! I just hope and prey, you dont miss out from trying because of overuse or other medical issue as you get older!!!

With all my heart ,

Tom
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Tom,
Please be respectful, I feel that you have mentioned more than once and yes while we agree that you should not let things stop you from trying you do have to be careful about overuse issues.
Please "give it a rest" and stop and think about what your opinions on overuse or the need to IGNORE it might have on others on here who are now struggling with bad overuse issues may feel towards your continuous posts on how people should not pay attention to it and still do things that may lead to this problem later in life.

And I hate to say it but "I lost my only good arm use from driving a semi" your statement here about losing the use of your good arm from driving a semi were most likely due to overuse symptoms because your erb's arm was affected and your good arm did too much to compensate!

I am sorry if others feel I am out of line but I am sick and tired of this and have refrained from posting a response to this many times!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

I am respectful, I think?? I dont need to be here! The persons that want to sight over use issue are real. I am Dust!! I am sure someone here can explaine over use issue and trying are more inportantant and can explain it better than me to be here! I did not even want to bring up my right at all! I just thought it was more inportant than focus on another limiation in life of over usage! Its all good, I wish I was better at writing and not , be labor a point, LOL, for ever Bye!

Tom
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

i have worked in three different coffee shops, Dunkin Donuts, Tim Hortons, and Java City, and also worked as a short order cook/ waitress for a little while.
~Mel/21/LOBPI
~Mel/23/LOBPI
rchapin
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Born 1970. Erb's palsy, left arm affected. Quad surgery age 2. Overhead cast used. Saro was not invented yet.

Post by rchapin »

Computer repair since 24, On site tech support for 3 years for a largish company.

Lefty's ok for coarse work and manipulating parts around where fine motor skills are not needed.
If I type too fast, Lefty either misfires or falls behind, making it look like I'm dyslexic. Lots of typos to clean up.
Just have to be careful about bulky/heavy stuff. Last thing I need is to drop a thousand dollar system on a foot.

Folks think I'm slow, that is cuz I am slow to be careful. I do not want lefty to ruin things for me, even though it nearly has several times.
alcsue6
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm at birth in the 50's. I never knew for sure, still don't. All I was told was I had pinched nerve and slight paralysis. Doctor told my mother that all I would do with my arm was hold babies. No surgery at all, just PT. Would like to know what it is caled but no doctor has ever told me. Bothers my back and my left hand is also bothering me.

Post by alcsue6 »

I have worked as a CNA, tutor, cashier, cook, waitress, factory worker, merchandiser, hostess, and as a home health aide.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

BUMPING UP FOR AARON...
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Jennifer P
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI

Post by Jennifer P »

I've had a number of jobs.
  • • I was a life guard for a summer, and a cashier for a pool the year before that.
    • I was a cashier for a year or so at Target
    • I worked on campus in the print center. Taking files and printing them for design students
    • I also worked on campus as a graphic designer
    • As a career I chose graphic design, loving it in every way.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I worked as a Caseworker for 17 years (BA degree), time out for raising 1 son with special needs. I mainly worked in non-profit Agencies but did work in 2 hospitals in there some place.Retired in 1997.
Carolyn J
LOBPI/72
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI