Surgery Scheduled

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Janet Lee

Surgery Scheduled

Post by Janet Lee »

My name is Janet Richter and I am 17. On March 14, I received a TRBPI by having innocent fun with some friends. I ended up sliding into a snow fence and taking the impact with my right shoulder. I broke my right collar bone, 5 vertebrae and also sprained my left MCL. I returned from Mayo appointments yesterday where I found I have to have surgery to repair my nerves along with 4 centimeters of crushed artery I didn't know I had. They are planning on taking the nerve from the back of my calve. I guess I was just wondering if anybody else has had this surgery. Any information would really be appreciated. Is there anything I need to do to prepare myself for this? How extensive is it? How much healing time does it take? Any help would be very appreciated.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Re: Surgery Scheduled

Post by AngelaW »

Hey janet. I think you asked this on another user's post and I offered some tips from my experience with the nerve surgery there. Hope you find my reply :) If not I'll repost it here.
Janet Lee

Post by Janet Lee »

I guess I did see that. sorry. I just have one question. What type of clothing did you find was easiest to wear? I'm going to school in a cold weather climate so I need hoodies and long sleeve shirts but I'm just wondering what is easiest to get in and out of wth the immobilizer.
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

No problem :) The brace I had straps around your waist with another strap diagonally over your shoulder and it holds your arm parallel to the front of your body but away from it. Fortunately you should be allowed to take it off to change as long as something supports your arm. Loose fittin clothing is easieast. Your hoodies should work. I live in MN so I understand about cold weather (sub-arctic). Mine was in the dead of winter too so I used a winter capelet so I didn't have put my arm through a sleeve.
This is major surgery so be prepared to have stay in the hospital a few days and/or to miss some school. Hope this helps.

Ang :)
herff94

Post by herff94 »

Angela
Is this our surgery by Dr E?

Kath

I just bought 5 t-shirts in x-Large. Cheap Old Navy ones that cost $5 each.
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Nope, this is the nerve surgery I had with shin, bishop, and spinner.
herff94

Post by herff94 »

you have so many surgeries, I never know. You realy need to get a job there, you've been on every floor and seen a ton of different docs in different areas! LOL
TTYL on e-mail :)
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

Lol. I know. I could be a Mayo tour guide. What's really funny is that I've had so many braces that I've seen all 4 guys who work at the Prosthetics Laboratries separately.
Janet Lee

Post by Janet Lee »

I have the same surgeons you did. Thanks for all the advice. I'm really praying everythign goes well. I also have to see Dr. Kallarah. I don't know if you know her at all but she's the vascular surgeon. To throw a wrench into everythign they just found out i crushed 4 cetimeters of artery so they have to add that to the surgery.
AngelaW

Post by AngelaW »

As we say here in minnesota, "uff duh". Yeah I had to see vascular too for a bit because I had a pseudo anuerysm (like a blister) on or near the artery (I can't remember). It was a risk when operating for fear they'd nick it and turn it into a full anuerysm. I had dr.vo. Have they has to shoot iodine through your system to get a ct scan of your veins? I hate that as I'm allergic to that amount of iodine so it males me itch like crazy for up to a week.
Can I ask when your surgery is?