Surgical scar obpi arm

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
klow

Surgical scar obpi arm

Post by klow »

Hi friends,I have a question for you... when I was 8 they did surgery on my erb's shoulder.After the operation they put my arm in an upright cast (pointing to the sky like a cyclist turning left) for 3 weeks in the summer and left me a hideous scar. To this day I have no idea what the surgery was for as it didn't seem to help at all. Even my parents don't know what it was about. Any ideas?
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Surgical scar obpi arm

Post by marieke »

It sounds like a tendon transfer, where they cut one end of the tendon(s) and re-route them and re-attach to make them do another movement, one you lack (usually external rotation) and/or forward flexion (overhead).

The surgeries aren't always successful, there is no guaranty of course. There should be a way for you to get hold of your medical records. You just have to call the hospital you had the surgery at and ask for them. They may charge you a small amount for them, and it can take a month (or more) to get them to you but it is your right to have them.

As for the scar, there does exist a few options to reduce the look of it. Scar revision surgery, laser...

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

The scar should be getting white in color depending on your age. If its raised at all, I would sugguest scar massage, it hurts a bunch but then gets better.

Good luck determining what the surgery was, like Marieke said your best bet is to try and get ahold of the hospital where you had the surgery or ask your parents and see if they remember.
Amy 22 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Master DIVER TOM

Post by Master DIVER TOM »

Ok, In the 50s there was a fire at the Hospital I was born and my record were destroyed. I needed the records latter in life for a case. I remember my mom telling me that at 6mo old I was seen at Children Momorial in Chicago for my Erbs. I called the records dept and ask if they could look up records that were about 50 some years ago. The fact is All records have case numbers no matter ware you were seen. Boy, that woman really cared and found my record on micofish. I didnt know the year or case number when I was there. We all need to keep a medical record on are ERBS threw life and know what was done to us. Why does not the doctor send you to a skin doctor for the scares?
Best wishes and trys,

TOM