Lyrica

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Lyrica

Post by RobertRacer »

So my doc prescibed Lyrica last week. I have taken it for 2 days. Never had any nerve meds before. Been injured almost 2 years.

Can anyone tell me your experience with this stuff? Positives, negatives, side efeects, alternatives?
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
Dude

Re: Lyrica

Post by Dude »

It didn't seem to help me, but a lot of people say it helps. Weight gain was an issue for me.

My head was weird for a while, but I started out at 900mgs., way too much at the start.

There are a number of people on the net who says it tough coming off of it, similar to Oxycontin. I just dropped down 200mg last week without any issues.

I hope it helps.
Ms. Stang

Post by Ms. Stang »

I had tried it for a day, messed with my head, and had me pretty much stuck in bed most of the day... At the time I didn't think it was helping as I still felt the pain, but once it wore off, I could tell it had been doing something. I just opted out of it, because I couldn't stand the way it made me feel. I tend to get whatever side effects any pain meds have. I am sure like most drugs the effects will be different with everyone.
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

Thus far, I thought I noticed a small difference, but now I feel like the nerve pain is a bit worse if anything. Or I notice it more anyway. I know the stuff is supposed to build up.

No real side effects so far.

Anybody else, please comment.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
am99gt

Post by am99gt »

I started it about a month ago, and so far I've not had any neg. with it. It does seems to make my pain bearable. I was on neurontin before but after 2 mths my pain was just as bad as before it. Well let me rephrase that my only neg. with lyrica is the $$$
chimley
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the wife of Rick, LTBPI. On 6/30/2008, our lives were forever changed. Rick was in a severe auto accident and sustained multiple injuries: broken jaw and facial bones, mild traumatic brain injury, L1 fracture, 4th cranial nerve palsy and LTBPI. With regard to the LTBPI, Rick has had an ulner nerve transfer (January 2009). We are now considering next steps in his treatment, perhaps some muscle transfers. Pain continues to be the worst thing about his injury. We are told that the pain goes away within five years or people have learned to deal with it. Meanwhile, we pray....and wait.

Post by chimley »

I asked Rick his opinion on Lyrica. He says that if he misses a dose the pain is much worse. He's used Neurontin when he was first injured but couldn't tolerate the dose needed to get any relief. The Lyrica seems to work much better.

Hope this helps!
Kim
Wife of Rick, LTBPI
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

I've been taking it for a few years now due to a spinal cord injury I have not related to my OBPI. I used to take neurontin but it gave me memory "loss" or lapses. I was on high doses of it and it didn't work well. I switched to Lyrica and on a lower dose and it works much better. I don't have side effects from it (apart the few few weeks where I was more sleepy). It takes your body at least 3 weeks to get used to any med so give a go and take the time to work up to a dose that works for you. They tend to start you on 75mg in the AM and 75mg at night, then add some more at night then more in the AM... they titrate up slowly to give your body a chance to adjust.

Marieke RN, 33, LOBPI and incomplete paraplegic @TI!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
cbe411
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: MVA in 2001, nerve graph in 2002, Median Nerve Transfer in 2004 and an unsuccessful Gracillis Muscle Transfer in 2006. I am living life and loving it! Feel free to contact me :)

Post by cbe411 »

I havent taken it in a while but I did and found it to be a great help to me! I did notice an increase in my appetite which is why I stopped taking it!!

I say give it a try and good luck!!

Courtney