Extreme back pain due to BPI

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
bobsco

Extreme back pain due to BPI

Post by bobsco »

Does anyone else suffer from chronic back pain in the romboid area? I had my motorcycle accident almost 14 yrs ago and have always had pain in that area but I would say in the last 2 yrs it has progressively gotten worse to the point where I have to lie down often during a 24 hr period as nothing else seems to help. I've tried botox, nerve blocks, accupuncture, massage but it doesn't help. I'm 39 yrs old and probably the best shape of my life but this pain is killing me. I hate to take drugs all the time but I'm stuck with no other choice. Any suggestions?
s8n

Re: Extreme back pain due to BPI

Post by s8n »

i know it all too well i have back pin in the shoulder area of my back. i take muscle relaxers and poof it's gone for about 5 hours. that's about all i can say about it tho.
daniel
bobsco

Post by bobsco »

I hear ya Daniel.....it sucks.
Jannie G

Post by Jannie G »

I find that the burning type of back pain in that area, besides being helped with muscle relaxers/pain meds/laying down-seems to also be helped by bring my shoulders down and back. I also make bicycle type movements forward for 50 cycles with my hands and arms and then backward cycles for 50 times. Movement this way and bringing my shoulders down-which seems to help with pain as I want to always bring my shoulders closer to my ears when in pain. I hope you find relief from pain soon!
Jannie
bobsco

Post by bobsco »

Thanks Jannie....
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Bob, out of curiosity, have you tried isolating the shoulder completely for a period of time with a sling and a belt wrapped around your chest and biceps area to hold the shoulder in? Just an idea if laying down is the only answer. Not that you'd want to walk around like that, but just to see if it would work. That bites that botox doesn't work, I'd think that would be the answer.

Best of Luck
Chris
s8n

Post by s8n »

get one of dan's slings. i use one no hanging pain. and my arm isn't slinging all about. it has straps that go all the way around chest area and has straps over both shoulders. i wear it when i leave the house and such. i use a regular sling usually at home as i like to prop my arm up on a pillow when i watch a flick. i also use dan's sling when i play my wii. but i am here to tell you everything you describe dan's sling will help and it looks awsome i put punk rock patches all over mine. i love it!!!
daniel

Message was edited by: s8n

Message was edited by: s8n
bobsco

Post by bobsco »

Thanks Chris and Dan....I suppose I can also try what you've both suggested. I just don't like the idea of all the straps and really isolating my arm. I already wear a sling and it does allow me to move my arm around at will which is something I like. I like lifting my arm and moving sideways which really moves the shoulder blade around which does seem to help a little but being seated at a computer all day kills me. I'm an account manager for RBC bank in Canada so I'm at my desk all day with clients. Don't know how much longer I can take the pain though. Thank you both for your suggestions.