Extreme back pain due to BPI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
bobsco

Extreme back pain due to BPI

Post by bobsco »

Does anyone else suffer from chronic back pain in the romboid area? I had my motorcycle accident almost 14 yrs ago and have always had pain in that area but I would say in the last 2 yrs it has progressively gotten worse to the point where I have to lie down often during a 24 hr period as nothing else seems to help. I've tried botox, nerve blocks, accupuncture, massage but it doesn't help. I'm 39 yrs old and probably the best shape of my life but this pain is killing me. I hate to take drugs all the time but I'm stuck with no other choice. Any suggestions?
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: Extreme back pain due to BPI

Post by marieke »

Hi (I'm also from Montreal)
Is it nerve pain or muscle pain?

Have you tried going to an osteopath or a chiropractor? I have used an osteopath when my non-bpi side was causing me muscle pain and it really helped, much more than regualr physio did.

If it's nerve pain though, there are meds specific for that (non-narcotic), like Neurontin or Lyrica or low-doses of tricyclic antidepressants.

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
bobsco

Post by bobsco »

Thanks marieke....It's really muscular. I can pin point the spots that constantly give me pain...when I do find the exact spots, I can squish or massage the muscle or tendon with my finger but the pain never goes away. I see Dr. Duranleau at the Centre de Readaptation de Montreal and nothing seems to help.
bobsco

Post by bobsco »

Could amputation be a possible solution???
marieke
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Amputation will give you more problems... phantom limb pain is really bad (I have that i my leg even though it is not amputated, but is paralyzed). But if you have no function in that arm it can be an option.

I too go to the IRM. But not for my BPI (I got transverse myelitis in 2004 which left me paralyzed from the chest down. I recovered a lot, but still have paralysis and maor pain all over my body from the spinal cord damage hat occured).

Have you tried using a TENS machine on the muscles that hurt? I use one and it really helps. It's not permanent but you can do it every day. You can get good deals on machines too.

Marieke

Message was edited by: marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
bobsco

Post by bobsco »

I really don't like the idea of amputation but I just don't know what to do. I already have phantom pains in my hand and elbow. Most of the time its manageable but sometimes it really hurts. I'm just thinking that this pain is due to the weight of my arm along with the inactivity of the muscles that are causing the pain. I do already have a tens machine or muscle stimulator. I have tried it in the past but haven't for awhile. Maybe I should try it on a regular basis. Thanks for your help.
marieke

Post by marieke »

You may want to try wearing a sling or brace to support the weight of the arm too..
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
bobsco

Post by bobsco »

I do wear a sling.......all the time.
katep

Post by katep »

Hi Bob,

I don't have BPI but bad scoliosis through that area. I have always had problems with extreme pain in my rhomboids - they would go into spasms, like little charlie horses that won't release, when I get too stressed or work too hard at the computer. I know your pain!!! I also tried everything over the years and nothing really seemed to work very well. Then, after our bad car accident in 2006, the pain got so bad I couldn't even breathe and I ended up in the ER for drugs.

What ended up working for me was actually chiropractic. Even though my pain was muscular, somehow the rhomboids were reacting to my back being out, my back getting twisted was messing up a nerve to those muscles, or maybe just getting my back adjusted allowed them to release their spasms and recover. I don't know which; all I know is that it works. I took drugs for weeks after our car accident, and just one adjustment let me breathe again without drugs!

The unbalanced weight of your arm could very well be causing you back problems, and those problems are showing up in the muscles that connect your spine to your arm - namely, the rhomboids and lower traps. And once those muscles start into spasm, I think they themselves can pull your spine awry. I would really urge you to give chiropractic a try. I was NEVER a believer, always thought it was nonsense, but to this day it is the only thing that helps me if I get really out. Luckily, I found the most wonderful chiro who showed me basically how to keep my own spine loose and adjusted through that area and now I only have to go in if I try to pull an all-nighter on a computer and really mess myself up :)

Kate
bobsco

Post by bobsco »

Wow Kate.....that sounds great. You know that out of all the things I've tried, that isn't one of them. I suppose I have nothing to lose. I'll give it a try. Thank you very much.