tics relates to birth trauma...

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
AshleyBelle

tics relates to birth trauma...

Post by AshleyBelle »

My daughter is 7. She sustained a severe BP injury at birth. We have been through so much, and now she has developed multiple motor tics. It started with a jerky movement in her non injured wrist. This continued for several months and now she also is repetively raising her eyebrows and rolling her eyes. I have done research and am seeking advice from docs but I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this. I am terrified that she may have more neurological damage than we knew, or possibly Tourette's Syndrome???
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: tics relates to birth trauma...

Post by marieke »

It does sound a lot like Tourette's. Have you spoken to her pediatrician? That should be done ASAP. I am sure he/she could give you a better idea of what is going on.

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

When my daughter throws a tantrum or gets really mad at me, she will start spouting off name calling and say words like someone with Tourette's would do. I've talked to the ped dr but they don't really seemed concerned. I am though
solson

Post by solson »

Hi there. My daughter is 6 and has a LOBPI. She has had a motor tic since she was about 6 months of age where she pushes her hand to her face and stiffens her body when really excited. About 6 months ago she started with verbal tics. We took her to her neurologist who diagnosed her as having verbal tics and would like to do an MRI next year to determine if there was minor brain damage as a result of the SD birth and trauma. He also told us that tics are genetic and to watch for OCD behaviors or increasing frequency or change in the tics. He said if it became disruptive he could prescribe something but otherwise there is a chance she may outgrow them. Apparently tics often develop in children around this time. Good luck to you, I know how frustrating it feels. First BPI and now something else to worry about and possibly make her feel "different". Hugs.