Gracilis Muscle Transfer

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
sheri.roesler

Gracilis Muscle Transfer

Post by sheri.roesler »

This muscle transfer surgery has been recommended for Joshua. Anyone had this done for their child? Any information that you can share would be appreciated. Thanks!
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: Gracilis Muscle Transfer

Post by F-Litz »

Hi Sheri! long time no see...
I emailed a mom whose daughter had this done to look at your post.
How has Joshua been? How old is he now? ( in college? just kidding)
-francine
NancyP

Post by NancyP »

Hi Sheri!

My daughter had this done about 5 years ago. It was a grueling process. Kelsey went from zero hand movement to slight flexion, enough to have a helper hand.

Please e-mail me if you would like more information!

patterson765@msn.com
sheri.roesler

Post by sheri.roesler »

Hi Francine,
Joshua is good - not quite in college yet. 9 years old and will be 10 in June. We were in Texas last week and saw Dr. Nath and Dr. Boutros. Now just trying to decide if it is the right thing to do. How is Maia? I hope she is doing well. Take care,
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Maia's going to be 11 soon.. or as she says - she is now 10 7/8! She's graduating elementary school soon so it's an exciting time!
nkjacoby
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Nicholas is 11 years old and his birth was complicated by a severe shoulder dystocia resulting in a severe LOBPI. He has had 5 surgeries to date with very little improvement. His left arm has never fully gained any functional use and has been completely flaccid until his last surgery. It now sits at a more natural position, but he is still unable to use his arm. However, his hand function was never limited until after his most recent surgery and is now completely limited due to an ulnar nerve entrapment. He is getting ready to have his 6th surgery in April to free the ulnar nerve from his last surgery. He is an amazing young man who never gives up on his dreams. He is my HERO!!!

Post by nkjacoby »

My son Nicholas has this surgery done at Children's Hospital Boston by Dr. Waters. I am more than willing to talk to you via email about our experience with this surgery. njacoby499@yahoo.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Natalie
Mom to Nicholas 6 yrs old LOBPI, Dawson 2 yrs, and Kalyssa 1 month
Mom to Nicholas 11 LOBPI, Dawson 7, and Kalyssa 5