In terrible pain, need help

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

In terrible pain, need help

Post by AngelaW »

As I've posted recently, I had surgery to fix my rbpi shouldar so they laid me on my left side for the 8hr procedure. This has lead to my lower left leg and foot to be "put to sleep" long term. Dr.said sometimes this happens and it can take a week or more to go back to normal.
Well, it's been a week and as the movement and feeling have come back, this awful burning, cramping pain has come with it. Some of it feels similar to my bpi pain which is scary and I can barely walk as it's so painful, like walking on a broken foot. The pain never eases and my painkillers help very little.
Has this happened to anyone else who has had surgery on their side? Can anyone help?
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Re: In terrible pain, need help

Post by AngelaW »

Finally had my follow-up appointment with my Dr./surgeon and he decided I have neuritis which is an inflamation of the nerve, in this case the sciatic nerve. He said it's very rare to have happen from lying on it during surgery and I'm only the second patient he's had this happen to.
Fortunately the pain is finally starting to subside and he said I should be fine in another week or so. He gave me lyrica to try as no other pain medicine helps but the lyrica not only did nothing for the pain, but it knocked me out and made me feel like a zombie so I will not use it anymore.
Joy in FL

Post by Joy in FL »

Good to hear they found out what happened and you are getting some relief.

Sorry to hear the Lyrica did not help. I found after the first week or so that it was very helpful. I was able to stop my daily pain medication.

Are you going to explore any other medications to help with the pain?
Joy in FL is now living in Georgia!
Left TBI on October 31, 1991
chriscnaz

Post by chriscnaz »

While meds don't help everyone, be cautious not to give up too soon.

Nuerotin didn't help just provided negative side effects at higher doses, Lyrica by itself had little effect but Lyrica in combination with Cymbalta had a significant impact on bringing the pain to a manageable level ( overall 8 down to about a 5 - 6 on a 1-10 scale). After about a year some small increases in both had to be done but overall the impact has been big.

There is new medication pending FDA approval that is similar to Cymbalta but has a higher neonephrine ratio which should provide even more assistance in managing pain, we'll see its now dueto be released in June.

If you're willing to give it another try talk to your Dr about combinations that may work better than single medications alone. There may be some unsuccessful trials along the way but there are multiple options that can be tried before giving up entirely.