Hot and cold hands

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Shep

Hot and cold hands

Post by Shep »

does anyone else experience that during the day my injured hand is very cold, and at night its very warm?

whats it mean
troy

Re: Hot and cold hands

Post by troy »

Yeah mate, i get and hot and cold feeling in my hand all the time. Most of the time my hand and arm is warm. Not sure why or what this means. I have heard that if it is warm it means it is repairing but not sue if this is correct.
Harley Quinn

Post by Harley Quinn »

i have experienced this before. although my injured hand is always cold. even when i put on gloves or put my hand in my pocket
s8n

Post by s8n »

cold= bad circulation
warm= good circulation
daniel
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Mine changes up less and less, but it used to be randomly very warm from the elbow to the hand and likewise bone cold. Now it's it doesn't go through that warm phase as much.

50% of a muscles function is to generate body heat, so with less muscle mass it is understandable why our smaller arms would get cold.
MarkedlyInPain

Post by MarkedlyInPain »

Exact same thing. My arm tends to be cold during the day and can get bright red and hot in the evening. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm up or down. It seems to have a mind of its own.
GMcG

Post by GMcG »

At night my hand gets very warm when I have a chance to put close to my body. Rubbing my injured hand with the healthy one, pressing it between my knees, wearing a mitten, or soaking it in warm water all help to warm the hand. The hand is cold when there is a lack of circulation. The best way to keep it warm, I've found, is pressing up against my own body.
Denis

Post by Denis »

If it is cold my hand feels like it is freezing. Even on a cool day I have to wear a glove. I ski a lot and cannot manage without a hot pad in my mitt. At night no matter the bedroom temperature I can't put my hand under the covers for any time because it gets too hot.