Fetal Deformations: A Risk Factor for Obstetrical Brachial Plexus Palsy?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
richinma2005
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Daughter Kailyn ROBPI, June 14, 1997.
Surgery with Dr Waters (BCH), April 1999 and in February 2012
2 more daughters, Julia (1999), Sarah(2002) born Cesarean.

Fetal Deformations: A Risk Factor for Obstetrical Brachial Plexus Palsy?

Post by richinma2005 »

Pediatric Neurology, Volume 35, Issue 4, Pages 246-249
I. Alfonso, G. Diaz-Arca, D. Alfonso, H. Shuhaiber, O. Papazian, A. Price, J. Grossman
Abstract

The purpose of this report is to discuss the association of brachial plexus palsy and congenital deformations. We reviewed all charts of patients less than 1 year of age with obstetrical brachial plexus palsy evaluated by one of the authors (IA) between January 1998 and October 2005 at Miami Children’s Hospital Brachial Plexus Center. Of 158 patients with obstetrical brachial plexus palsy, 7 had deformations (4.4%). Deformations were present in 32% of patients delivered by cesarean section, but in only 2% of patients delivered vaginally. The deformations were ipsilateral, involving the chest in two patients, distal arms in two patients, proximal arm in one patient, ear in one patient, and the leg in one patient. All patients with deformations had unilateral Erb’s palsies. None had a history of maternal uterine malformation. Two presumptive mechanisms of injury, one causing the deformation (compressive forces) and one causing brachial plexus palsy at the time of delivery (traction forces), were present in all cases. The higher incidence of deformation in patients with obstetrical brachial plexus palsy born by cesarean sections and the presence of two presumptive mechanisms in all of the cases presented here raises the possibility that fetal deformations are a risk factor for obstetrical brachial plexus palsy.
Marcie

Re: Fetal Deformations: A Risk Factor for Obstetrical Brachial Plexus Palsy?

Post by Marcie »

Has there been evidence of problems with the jaw on just the affected side? I recently read on here, about a parent whose child had to have all their teeth extracted on just the affected side due to the jaw not being allied (I can't recall excatly what was said.) I've been trying to find it. I just took my daughter to the dentist today. I mentioned to him about the message I read on here. He took a panoramic of her jaw and he is going to take her pics to a local ortho surgeon. Our dentist will let me know he the ortho says.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

She had a four teeth pulled, not all of them...

http://ubpn.org/messageboard/thread ... 855#261855
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Marcie

Post by Marcie »

Is that the only message that talks about the teeth and jaw on the affect side? I read it and it doesn't sound like the one I recall reading.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

That's the only one that I remember.. but try searching through her posts. You can click on her name and go through what she has posted (Fran's posts).
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com