recovery after brachial plexus surgery

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
msjdgal

recovery after brachial plexus surgery

Post by msjdgal »

my son was in a motorcycle accident 8/7/08 and has a severe left brachial plexus we will be having surgery at the mayo clinic in feb - i am looking for any information on recovery, what people have regained as far as use of the arm, hand, writst, elbow, etc. any information would be appreciated - his surgery consists of rebuilding the bicep with the thigh muscle-transplanting the lower leg nerve into his arm and rerouting a nerve from his chest. thank you
chimley
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the wife of Rick, LTBPI. On 6/30/2008, our lives were forever changed. Rick was in a severe auto accident and sustained multiple injuries: broken jaw and facial bones, mild traumatic brain injury, L1 fracture, 4th cranial nerve palsy and LTBPI. With regard to the LTBPI, Rick has had an ulner nerve transfer (January 2009). We are now considering next steps in his treatment, perhaps some muscle transfers. Pain continues to be the worst thing about his injury. We are told that the pain goes away within five years or people have learned to deal with it. Meanwhile, we pray....and wait.

Re: recovery after brachial plexus surgery

Post by chimley »

Hello,

My husband, Rick, just had his surgery at University of Michigan last week, so I'm not much help in that respect. His accident occurred on 6/30/08, a couple of months before your son's. We are in Michigan, too, east of Frankenmuth.

Feel free to email me, if you'd like to...I'm sorry that you are going through all this, but I don't know many Michiganders on here! Welcome!

Kim
Wife of LTBPI
HagarH

Post by HagarH »

Hello,
My husband was in snowmobile accident in Mancelona, MI..one year ago (2/28/08).
We live in Monroe near Ohio line, he had surgery at U of M, wonderful Dr. Yang!
As you can see from the board each BPI is unique, many similarities, but also each injury, surgery and healing varies. My husband had reconstructive bone surgery to the shoulder first, then nerve transfer from his chest and back. He will have muscle transfer surgery in June.
The most precious advise I can share with fellow Michigander is patience, it will be a long road. The pain, the surgeries, adjusting to new life as handicap, have patience, there is no instant miracle fix for BPI.
Please let us know how your son is progressing, did he have surgery in Feb?
msjdgal

Post by msjdgal »

my son had surgery a week ago today - we were tentativley scheduled to get discharged today from st marys hospital but the drs said hopefully tomorrow - today is a better day as he is up and taking walks every hr - one drain left - some fluid retention in his chest-front & back - trying today to wean from oxygen and get ready for our flight home wed - we will keep you update with our progress shelly
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

I will be at mayo tommorrow for most of the day so if you are still in rochester and are up to it, i would love to meet with you guys.
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

Hi, sorry to hear of his accident.
I had a motorcycle accident 26th may 07
effected my c5 and c6, so i lost my biceps/brachiallis, and shoulder.
have regained motion in my biceps and brachiallis.
just waiting for the results of surgery 3 months ago for my shoulder/deltoid.
lucky number 3 surgery im hoping.
but i had distall bypass nerve surgery, not the gracillis muscle transfer i think your son had.

shaun
brentr6
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle accident Oct 8, '06. TBI and LTBPI. Brachial Plexus Reconstructive surgery at the Mayo by Shin/Bishop/Spinner Jul '07. Gracilis muscle transfer for new bicep is working somewhat, still have a way to go-no hand-to-mouth motion yet!

Post by brentr6 »

Hey Jesse and Shelly,

It was all pleasure to meet you all!! You've seen my progress this far, I'll keep you posted on how things are going. My home system has a virus and I can't get online. I'm at work and I'll keep an eye on things from here. I hope you get to go home tomorrow. Be safe and don't be afraid to ask for things for his comfort. I certainly enjoyed the meet and look forward to the friendship!
msjdgal

Post by msjdgal »

Brent
we got home on wednesday night - of course flights were delayed because of the winds so it made a long day at the airports - thurs we had to go to the drs - being on blood thinners, jesse started bleeding thru his chest tube site - the dr cauterized it and sent us home with material to do it ourselves (which we did last nite) - staples come out of thigh on tues and wednesday he gets his cast changed and those stitches checked - its nice to be home after 2 1/2 wks and his friends have really supported him by stopping in - will keep you posted on our progress - again so nice of you to take the time to meet us! shelly
chimley
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the wife of Rick, LTBPI. On 6/30/2008, our lives were forever changed. Rick was in a severe auto accident and sustained multiple injuries: broken jaw and facial bones, mild traumatic brain injury, L1 fracture, 4th cranial nerve palsy and LTBPI. With regard to the LTBPI, Rick has had an ulner nerve transfer (January 2009). We are now considering next steps in his treatment, perhaps some muscle transfers. Pain continues to be the worst thing about his injury. We are told that the pain goes away within five years or people have learned to deal with it. Meanwhile, we pray....and wait.

Post by chimley »

Regina,

I'm curious, is Dr. Yang doing the surgery in June? How is his progress from his earlier surgery? Jody had his surgery in July, didn't he?

Do you have a surgery date? Our organization has an office in Ann Arbor. Perhaps I could work out of that office on the day of his surgery and come and meet with you! Rick's follow up is scheduled for July.

Take care! Kim
chimley

Post by chimley »

Shelly,

Have been thinking about you. I'm glad you are home now, that feels good in itself!

Where do you do your follow up for staples and cast?

Hang in there!
Kim
Wife of LTBPI