Good News!!!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Its1105
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: RTBPI - injured during a right cervical rib resection on 12/3/2008 for thoracic outlet syndrome. The doctor completely transected the lateral cord at C5-C6 Erb's pointe and the suprascapular nerve. Had a nerve repair done on 12/12/2008 to reattach the nerves. Did two years of OT. I have some issues with overuse issues with my left shoulder and also have come to find that my joints are hypermobile so I have instability in the joints which causes a lot of problems such as pressure and pain.

Good News!!!

Post by Its1105 »

I am beginning to see movement in my shoulder muscle already! I was told I wouldn't have a chance at seeing anything before June, but it is March and my supraspinatus muscle is beginning to work!

My Occupational Therapist said she isolated the muscle and it is indeed working and not another muscle just compensating for it! I am so excited!!! I still have a long road to recovery as I can't move it a lot, but just that little movement is so amazing!

Just thought I would share the news!

I still have a ton of pain and my emotions are up and down about everything but now that I am getting some movement I am just so ecstatic! I feel like I have more hope now.
--
Marie
RTBPI December 2008
C5-C6
bensmom

Re: Good News!!!

Post by bensmom »

That is wonderful, wonderful news! Here's wishing you continued recovery!
shaunnb

Post by shaunnb »

Wow, congratulations!
so good to hear!

shaun
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

That's awesome!

What exercises did your OT do to isolate it?
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
AngelaW
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: X

Post by AngelaW »

Congratulations! :)
chimley
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the wife of Rick, LTBPI. On 6/30/2008, our lives were forever changed. Rick was in a severe auto accident and sustained multiple injuries: broken jaw and facial bones, mild traumatic brain injury, L1 fracture, 4th cranial nerve palsy and LTBPI. With regard to the LTBPI, Rick has had an ulner nerve transfer (January 2009). We are now considering next steps in his treatment, perhaps some muscle transfers. Pain continues to be the worst thing about his injury. We are told that the pain goes away within five years or people have learned to deal with it. Meanwhile, we pray....and wait.

Post by chimley »

Thank you so much for sharing! It's so good to hear other's successes!

Kim
Wife of LTBPI
brentr6
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Motorcycle accident Oct 8, '06. TBI and LTBPI. Brachial Plexus Reconstructive surgery at the Mayo by Shin/Bishop/Spinner Jul '07. Gracilis muscle transfer for new bicep is working somewhat, still have a way to go-no hand-to-mouth motion yet!

Post by brentr6 »

Simply "Priceless"!! Things like these are so awesome and those of us that have been there know exactly how remarkable small things like this effect everything in our life!! You're so right, the light at the end of the tunnel is so much brighter!!! Congratulations!!! And you're right when you say "this is a long road". The things I've noticed are that it takes a lot longer for these muscles to get stronger to the point that we know they used to be. Be patient, really patient! It's great to be on the "healing" side of things!!

Brent/LTBPI
Its1105
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: RTBPI - injured during a right cervical rib resection on 12/3/2008 for thoracic outlet syndrome. The doctor completely transected the lateral cord at C5-C6 Erb's pointe and the suprascapular nerve. Had a nerve repair done on 12/12/2008 to reattach the nerves. Did two years of OT. I have some issues with overuse issues with my left shoulder and also have come to find that my joints are hypermobile so I have instability in the joints which causes a lot of problems such as pressure and pain.

Post by Its1105 »

Hi Everyone!

Sorry for the late reply. I have been on an alternative spring break in NYC working with the homeless with my dorm.

RobertRacer, I am not sure what exactly she did to isolate the muscle. She move my arm around in quite a few different ways and had me move it as much as I could while putting pressure in certain areas to feel what muscles were sliding etc.

I must say being in OT has helped a ton. I wish I would have been told to start it sooner rather than try to do it on my own. Even though they are mainly working on pain control, being able to talk to them about concerns and or possible improvements has been great.

I know I still have a long way to go, but I am glad that I at least will have some improvement.

:)
--
Marie
RTBPI December 2008
C5-C6