Home from Shriners in Philly

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Sue_Em'smom

On a more serious note...

Post by Sue_Em'smom »

Louise,
Emily was older (13) also when she had the mod quad and was very hypersensitive about her arm and scar massage in particular...
What we would do was get her all settled on my bed, with pillows, etc. and she would have a book that she enjoyed reading (T.V. or a movie might work as well) and then... here's the kicker... I would give her Sweet Tarts, a favorite candy of hers, and she would eat sweet tarts and read a book while I massaged. It still wasn't fun, but it helped make it more bearable!
But now, she can't really look at sweet tarts! Nor can she stand the smell of root beer, which was the "flavor" or anasthesia that she chose before surgery... but we survived!
Despite all the discomfort it was a strong bonding time for us, and believe it or not she looks back on that time with some nostalgia....Go figure!
Blessings to you and sweet Elizabeth.
Sue
francine

Re: Home from Shriners in Philly

Post by francine »

wow Sue - a reminder of a nice day with you although stressful for you...

the deal with dinner is that I made stuffed chicken and the chicken was so juicey that it and some of the stuffing ended up on the bottom of the oven..Louise and the kids and I were in the backroom computerizing ourselves and had no clue that the whole house was filling with billowing smoke... so that's how dinner was fine..it was really just the oven that got burned hehehe...

wow I already forgot what the outcome of the ignition things was - did you have to have the ignition replaced?
B'smom

Re: Home from Shriners in Philly

Post by B'smom »

Louise and Elizabeth,

Good to hear you arived home safe. Glad things went well. Please keep us posted. What kind of cream do you use for the scar?
Felicia