new to this forum, any advice appreciated

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
aviator56

new to this forum, any advice appreciated

Post by aviator56 »

Hello, my name is Vince. Thanks for allowing me to be a part of your forum. Ihave read many posts here and I pray for you all. I was injured in April 2008.Since then I have experienced crippling pain as many of you have descibed.I cannot find a DR. Who knows what to do.Now that I am losing the use of my right arm and cannot function from the pain I am at a point where I don't know what to do.I am scheduled to see a neurosurgeon tommorow, after waiting for 8 months for insurance to approve referal.- am typing this with my left hand thumb because my right hand won't work and pain is to intense.Please don't percieve this as whining,but this is the only place I found wo communicate with people who have or are experiencing the same symptoms If you have any advice it is greatly appreciated.Thanks and have a great painfree day.Vince
rock

Re: new to this forum, any advice appreciated

Post by rock »

Hey Vince...Welcome

Sorry to hear about your injury and pain...I can identify...I was injured in September without insurance so I am new to this too...

I hope your neurologist eases your pain and puts you on track for the best possible recovery.

Keep us posted

Rock
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Oh man Vince. I am so sorry to welcome you to the club that nobody wants to join.
As you can read on this board we are quite strong in numbers.
We have people from all over the world sharing experiences.
We are all here to lend support as well as receive it.
There are references throughout to other sites for slings, braces, home tools as well as personal tools.
There are photos, videos and stories of members achieving all sorts of goals and aspirations. It's incredible.
You'll find the latest in research updates courtesy of Christopher Janney
And personal braces made by Dan Baldrich
and tons of life stories from all.
Don't hesitate to ask for support on any front.
That's why you're here and that's why we're here.
I wish you the very best and please use this site and everyone involved?
Scott

Rock and Vince and Jason as well, Go to your local Social Security Office and see about filing a claim. I have no idea what the requirements are as far age/years worked, etc. but I do know this, when and if you are approved for assistance it will be prorated back to the day you first filed. As I said I don't know the requirements but they just might help in ways we don't know. You will not be able to work(an honest days pay...) until you can get a handle on this pain. Who knows how long that will be. We live in a wonderful country and who knows you might just like it that much more if they can help you out right?
Good luck and I'll be watching for updates.

Message was edited by: swhite1
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

Vince, I feel like I'm whining everyday, but here, at least people understand. Like you, I didnt have insurance at the time but had many other injuries. If its debilitating to the point you arent working, see if the hospital has a charity care program. See a Dr. as soon as you can as time is crucial to muscle recovery.
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
gtolge

Post by gtolge »

Hi Vince, my name is Geoff and this is my first day here and I've just read your post from your first day. I hope that you're as strong as you can be today and have been able to take some steps toward getting charity care and/or filing a Social Security claim. I survived a catastrophic downhill skiing accident in 1983, I blew out my entire brachial plexus and immediately experienced the ensuing complex pain syndrome. That was 26 years ago. I've been fortunate to have steady insurance, strong support from faith, family and friends. I had plexus reconstruction surgery and have tried many combos of medications to manage the fury of chronic pain. It feels so good to read all of these posts from fellow "pain-iacs". Unremitting pain tends to make us withdraw from other people because we hurt. We feel alone because we think nobody understands our pain, but many do understand. Today I stumbled into this message board and discovered fellowship! What did your surgeon have to say?
Harley Quinn

Post by Harley Quinn »

You don't know how happy i am that i found this site. i was born with BP and i have felt sooooo alone because i'm the only member of my family with it. they try to help but they don't truly know how i feel. thank you
kristoffer

Post by kristoffer »

i am also new here. and reading all the post here really informs me a lot because honestly i dont know so many things about this condition even if i have one. i dont even know what type it is. iti s actualy on my right arms. im from the philippines and my parents are not rich so i wasnt able to get the best medical help i could get. i never went to a surgeon but we visited a therapist a coule of times and she is not even that highly knowledgeable. i am 20 now. i can move my right habd but is it a bit weak. do you have any sugguestions like exercises or maybe surgery that are cheap that can better my condition? tnx. my condition really affected me a lot like im a very shy guy and has a low self esteem maybe. tnx al ot.
Harley Quinn

Post by Harley Quinn »

when i exercise, i will put my hands on the wall and then slowly walk them up so it kinda helps stretch my muscle. it keeps the arm from cramping. by the way its nice to meet you kristoffer
Denis

Post by Denis »

I am also new to this forum. If your progress proceeds as mine did there may be a reduction in the intensity of your pain. I remember the first time my doctor asked where I thought my pain was on a scale of 1 to 10. My reply was that it was constant at about 7 or 8 but at times it would shoot up to 12 or 14. Today, just short of my third anniversary I would say the constant pain is 3 to 5 with rare spikes to 8 or 9. I find the best treatment for my pain is to get really involved in some activity. I am back to skiing which is how my accident happened and I find when I really get going I completely forget the pain.