BRACHAIL PLEXUS PALSY

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
gabriele

Re: BRACHAIL PLEXUS PALSY

Post by gabriele »

Thanks for your replies.
I start reading today, and later I'll be ready to write my little experiences concerning my OBPI (even if I know I couldn't have anything to suggest you that you did not try before).
Kathleen M

Post by Kathleen M »

Gabriele

Please write away...
We all learned from each other about our injury.

We started chatting about how were were affected and all of a sudden the puzzel we lived with for so long began to fill in and the pieces go together.

Sometimes we each thought we were the only one to do certain things... like holding stuff in our hands and found out we all do it... so post on please.

Kath
gabriele

Post by gabriele »

Ok, maybe it's better if I start describing my OBPI:
it's on my right arm.
I should have been right handed (I live in Rome, Italy, and it's easy to understand for people living in countries where soccer is popular: you just look at the foot you use to play the bal. For me is the right one).
Of course, I became left - handed.
I passed through long sessions of phisioterapy, electric stimulation and strange things I remember just a little (I remember kind of baths sitting on a chair which slowly descended in little pool, but I could not say what was the purpose). This was continuous from 0 til I was 12 years old. My mother took me around the city to the best doctors and phisioterapists. When I was 10 (in 1980), we heard about the first surgeonist equipe in Italy, practicing micro - surgeon. But, you know, when you are 10 it's too late. The surgeonist just could turn my arm in a most comfortable position.
I think my OBPI it's strong since I cannot rase my arm at all. But I could not say the specific nerve which was broken (c5 - c6 ? I don't know).
Psycologically I would say to mothers: it's good and worth to do whatever it's possible (and even impossible) trying to reach children's arm rehabilitation,
BUT
do not feel a sense of guilty, or any kind of responsibility in what happened. Do not try to compensate (?do you understand?) putting more love and protection than the normal. This could create a distorsion. My problem as an adult, is not practicle about my arm (in the world nowadays, you can do almost whatever you want) but undirect problem caused by the relationship with my mother: too strong, too protected. If you are not bored I can try to explain better...
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

Welcome Gabriele,
My name is Christy, and I live in Texas. My daughter is the one who is injured and she's 10. Please tell more about yourself or ask questions and maybe someone can answer or help. We all learn from eachother. You are surely NOT boring - please post more.
Thanks,
Christy
gabriele

Post by gabriele »

It's hard to explain. My mother is a wonderful mother, but...well it's hard to explain since I am talking about my mother's and mine behaviour of 20 -30 years ago. And I talk of us as if we were other people (and in a language that it's not mine).
It must have been an hard daily challenge for me , for my mother and my father, brother and sister..
An OBPI requires a lot of time spent in phisioterapy, and so on, everyday. At the beginning I was too young to realize but then, when I was 5 - 6 yers old, I started feeling the weight of this life. And I also started annoying my mother with continuous chatting and crying and so on (well I don't know english words..). On my opinion this is the point where a mother should take care.
This is the point when a mother should say some "NO" to the child.
May be a mother should think to this: "What would have been my behaviour if my son did not have OBPI?".

Bobbi

Post by Bobbi »

I just want to say thanks to you all for your posts.

I'm a first time mom of a 3 month old with BPI of the right arm. Just learning about the injury and possible future limitations for my son has been disheartening. Of course with current medical intervention we have great hope for good recovery. But if things don't work out with that, it is wonderful to know how active and limitless your lives have been. Hope this doesn't sound negative in any way, you've just given me such great feelings for my son and his self esteem. I hope I can help him be as successful and well rounded as you all seem.
Steve L.

Post by Steve L. »

Hi Judith,and welcome. I found this site about 18 mnth.s to 2 yr.s ago and like you I was really happy to be able to interact with folks in the same situation.
I'm a 36 yr. old father of 2,somewhat stable(Stick around you'll soon discover why I say "somewhat".),very outgoing person.
Also,probably just like you,was never given the chance to consider what I was born with to be a handicap, more like an obstacle.
I hope you stay around long enough to get into some really good discussions. Some of the time we even talk about Erbs Palsy.
Nice to meet you.