Any children 's book recomendations?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Shan_n

Any children 's book recomendations?

Post by Shan_n »

Hi. I saw a few children's books on a UK Erb's palsy website named Herbie and his special arm and Herbie has an operation and was wondering if anyone knows of any similar children's books for sale in the U.S? Thanks in advance:-)

[Edited by: admin on Feb 16, 2009 1:02 AM]
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Re: Any children 's book recomendations?

Post by veggiebug »

I've been looking as well. As kind of an explanation for my son when he gets older to understand my injury a little.

Matter of fact I've kinda played with some book ideas myself, but haven't been satisfied.

The closest I've found to my story is Finding Nemo, but honestly in book form it loses it's little fin part of the story quite a bit.

Sorry I couldn't help. If you here of anything let me know I'd also love a book like this.

-Traci
Tanya in NY
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am Mom to Amber, injured at birth. I serve on the Board of Directors for UBPN, and am a labor/delivery nurse, too.

Post by Tanya in NY »

Not specific to BPI, but in general an awareness and acceptance of being "different" kind of book is called Different Just Like Me. Great book!

Tanya in NY
Amber's mom, ROBPI, 6 years old
Tanya in NY
Amber's Mom, ROBPI, 13 years old
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Can you not order them from the UK site?
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Shan_n

Post by Shan_n »

I was able to buy them online. Here is a link if anyone else is interested. The total for all 3 books came out to 14.00 USD.
http://www.erbspalsygroup.co.uk/merchandise.asp