humeral osteotomy

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
kubiksquare
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mother of LOBPI

Re: humeral osteotomy

Post by kubiksquare »

My son had this procedure done last summer. Just got a call from dr. today that he's grown a ton of bone over the rod. Normally the rod would be removed (in the event that there's a relapse and another rod needs to be inserted) but it's been advised that we just leave it.

And that's just fine with us.
morgiebear1995

Post by morgiebear1995 »

What rod? I was not aware that they use a rod for this proceedure. They used a plate & screws on Morgie. Why would they use a rod when they are cutting and rotating the bone?

-A
parent needing help
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 03/28/2000 OBPI. rc5-6 rupture, rc7-8 avulsion rt1 stretch. L humeral fx lc7 stretch

Post by parent needing help »

some use a rod. Kaite is having the radial osteotomy and it will be with the plates / screws that will be left in unless a futre problem develops.
Christy & Katie Chapman
kubiksquare
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Mother of LOBPI

Post by kubiksquare »

Yep, some use a rod. There's a thin steel rod in Lukas' arm, which basically keeps it from rotating.
morgiebear1995

Post by morgiebear1995 »

Morgan had the screws and the plate which will stay in perm. We are still doing lots of PT and everyday we are still seeing great results. Her range now is just amazing and still does not seem possible. I feel really happy about the outcome. Will be interested to see how she is doing a year from now. I can only imagine how excited she is being able to have functions in her range that many just take for granite. The one i see her do most often is she will sit at the Kitchen table with her hand (palm) resting on her check while her elbow supports her. She said she loves doing this because she could never touch her face like that before. At night she has to wear the brace, but during the day if I find her napping she will be all sprawled out with her arm stretched out way above her head. Before she always tucked her arm in by her side:). More updates later.

Take care all,
-A
morgiebear1995

Post by morgiebear1995 »

Morgan is doing great! June 1st we are off all restrictions as we continue with therapy. She is so pleased with the results. We have had no set backs or anything to complain of. She now can even put her hand in her back pocket again and touch her stomach. These were the two main functions we lost initially after the surgery. There were no guarantees she would get them back....but she has. She is playing the guitar better than ever with her new range and plans to have a fun filled summer enjoying camp, riding her bike, swimming and summer vacation. Morgan will start highschool in the Fall. Life is pretty much back to normal at our house! Thanks for your support. The unknown that follows this injury can make it so hard to know what path to take. All I can say is go with your heart and ask lots of questions...you will find the way!
morgiebear1995

Post by morgiebear1995 »

Morgan is doing great! June 1st we are off all restrictions as we continue with therapy. She is so pleased with the results. We have had no set backs or anything to complain of. She now can even put her hand in her back pocket again and touch her stomach. These were the two main functions we lost initially after the surgery. There were no guarantees she would get them back....but she has. She is playing the guitar better than ever with her new range and plans to have a fun filled summer enjoying camp, riding her bike, swimming and summer vacation. Morgan will start highschool in the Fall. Life is pretty much back to normal at our house! Thanks for your support. The unknown that follows this injury can make it so hard to know what path to take. All I can say is go with your heart and ask lots of questions...you will find the way!