Reply here if you are reading this TBPI forum regularly!

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jenfromrsm

Re: Reply here if you are reading this TBPI forum regularly!

Post by jenfromrsm »

I check the TBPI Board nearly everday, I am:

Injured
LTBPI, lost full use of left arm
20 years ago
Hit by truck riding bicycle
Have serious chronic pain which is the real "disability"

But God is so good and there is always hope in each new day thanks to Jesus!
Jen
Christopher
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Date of Injury: 12/15/02

Level of Injury:
-dominant side C5, C6, & C7 avulsed. C8 & T1 stretched & crushed

BPI Related Surgeries:
-2 Intercostal nerves grafted to Biceps muscle,
-Free-Gracilis muscle transfer to Biceps Region innervated with 2 Intercostal nerves grafts.
-2 Sural nerves harvested from both Calves for nerve grafting.
-Partial Ulnar nerve grafted to Long Triceps.
-Uninjured C7 Hemi-Contralateral cross-over to Deltoid muscle.
-Wrist flexor tendon transfer to middle, ring, & pinky finger extensors.

Surgical medical facility:
Brachial Plexus Clinic at The Mayo Clinic, Rochester MN
(all surgeries successful)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
~Theodore Roosevelt

Post by Christopher »

Injured 12-15-02
RTBPI
with some hand function and elbow flexion
thanks to the Mayo Clinic!
motorcycle wreck

I used to check every day, but that is fluctuating to 2-3 times a week. I am at the stage where I realize that I'm paying way too much attention to my injury for the place that I'm at (or should be at) in my life, and it's not helping my mindset out for the present or the future. I didn't realize how much until I started dating someone who pointed out how often I bring up my injury or comment about "how I used to be, or could do"... pretty shocking actually. So I'm limiting my time on the forum while I figure out what is a healthier balance.

Funny thing is, when I was first injured, I hated coming on here because I didn't want to associate or focus on my injury or be someone that relegated their lives to bitching and moaning about what was wrong with them, especially with a bunch of strangers. But after a while I began to realize that no one has any idea what I'm going through or grounded advice, but the folks on here, and I hated it when people got improper medical treatment or no treatment until it was too late... so I started bitching and moaning and presto!... it became an addiction. Ha! I do enjoy helping out when I can, it's just time to let go for a bit, gain some balance, and focus on the parts that work right!

Christopher
msjdgal

Post by msjdgal »

my 21 yr old son was hit on his motorcycle by a lady that failed to stop on 8/7/08 - he suffered 17 broken bones, brain trama, awards, and a severe lbpi - he was left handed - we are scheduled for surgery 2/26/09 at mayo clinic - we fly into mayo 2/23/09 for 2 days of testing prior to surgery - this web site has been very helpful to me and i check it almost daily - i feel for every one of yous as all of our lives have changed and the information shared here is overwhelming to know so many people are going thru the same trama shelly
swimhappy

Post by swimhappy »

Injured.
Will be 10 years on February 15 (my "Gimp Day" woohoo).
TBPI
Horseback riding accident. The horse I was riding took off running, and I wasn't an experienced enough rider to know what to do so I held on as tightly as I could. The doctors think that I was holding on so tightly that it tore the nerves in my right arm. (Makes sense because I was right-handed at the time)
gjtpgh

Post by gjtpgh »

I am new to the forum but read it regularly.

I am the injured person.

Injured: 24 yrs, 1 month
Total BPI by downhill snow skiing. I was a tree slammer before it became popular. Was lucky though, escaped with my life, my legs, and my head intact! gjt(pgh) Yeah Steelers!
dalejrfan

Post by dalejrfan »

I read regularly
Surgical brachial plexus stretch
date 7-29-07
can move fingers thumb and index non moveable Hans numb
Mayo's refused to see me
schmoe90

Post by schmoe90 »

I'm checking about once a week...

Are you the injured, spouse, parent or other: Injured
How long injured: 23 years
OBPI or TBPI: TBPI
How were you injured: Motorcycle accident (right arm)
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Are you the injured, spouse, parent or other: injured
How long injured: three years June-09
OBPI or TBPI: TBPI-Left, torn
How were you injured: I passed out from a stroke, or reaction to insect bite or medications. Or all of the above. Nobody knows for sure. I lived alone at the time and had been taking meds for various calamities. Anyway I hit the floor, hard. Apparently I fractured my shoulder, rolled up over my arm and I laid unconscious, convulsioning, for about 38 hours. I know it was Sunday night when this all initiated and I was a more than surprised to discover I was being checked into the 1st hospital early Tuesday morning. They thought I was phsyco. :? (I knew I was) :roll:
Last edited by swhite1 on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Harley Quinn

Post by Harley Quinn »

I was born with Brachial Plexus. i'm 19 years old.
chimley
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am the wife of Rick, LTBPI. On 6/30/2008, our lives were forever changed. Rick was in a severe auto accident and sustained multiple injuries: broken jaw and facial bones, mild traumatic brain injury, L1 fracture, 4th cranial nerve palsy and LTBPI. With regard to the LTBPI, Rick has had an ulner nerve transfer (January 2009). We are now considering next steps in his treatment, perhaps some muscle transfers. Pain continues to be the worst thing about his injury. We are told that the pain goes away within five years or people have learned to deal with it. Meanwhile, we pray....and wait.

Post by chimley »

Hello,

I am the wife of Rick.
He was injured 7 months and 8 days ago.
He suffered a LTBPI when his car went under a Salvation Army truck.

He was trapped for 30 minutes, had a broken jaw, facial fractures, L1 fracture, ruptured spleen, mild traumatic brain injury and the TBPI. Today is his 43rd birthday and we are glad he is here to celebrate it with us....despite the path we are on now, we have much to be thankful for, including all of you :)

Blessings! Kim