Need Advice on my injury

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
bowieangel

Need Advice on my injury

Post by bowieangel »

Hello everyone My Name Is Angel Brock And I Am Fourteen Years Old. I Have A Brachial Plexus Injury In My Right Shoulder. My Injurywas really bad when I Was Little But Now It HAs Really Improved. My Arm Still Cant Go All The Way Straight But It is Really Not That Bad Either. I Know That There Is Alot Of People Out Here Who Have It Worst But I Still Am Self Contious Of My Arm. Like I Still Dont Like Doing Stuff Because I'm Afraid What People Would Think. Like I Am A Really Good Cheerleader And All The Girls At My School Want Me To Cheer But I Decided Not To Because I Dont Noone To Notice My Arm And Make Fun Of Me. Everyone Says I shouldnt Worry And That My Arm Is Not That Noticable, But I Think It Is Noticeable And, In Elementary I Got Teased All The Time And I Dont Want It To Happen Again. At The Same Time I really Want To cheer.My Mom Doesnt Understand Why I Act Like That, So Thats Why Im On Here To Get Advice. What Should I Do ?And How Should I Handle My Problem?
Thanks In Advance :)
Humboldtmtnbkr
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Road cycling accident 8/31/08 stretched c5/c6. 2 1/2 years post accident now and I have regained all function and alot of strength back. I am a very lucky person.

Re: Need Advice on my injury

Post by Humboldtmtnbkr »

Follow your heart. Be strong and lean on your best friends for support. If the ones that are telling you to do it are your friends, they will back you up. Let them know you need the support. I have not lived with my bpi for long. I had an accident about 5 months ago. I do not know what it is like to have lived with this for my entire life. I do know one thing, if you are confident, no one can hurt you. Go for it! JJ
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Hi, I too got made fun of in elementary school. High school was different though, no one cared anymore. One girl made fun of me and she was quickly put in her place by my friends!

I did Ballet and figure skating, and at first was self-conscious too. I didn't want to wear dresses/leotards that were sleeveless, but after a while I realized no one cared, no one bothered me about it and I ended up only wearing sleeveless dresses when I practiced! (more comfortable!).

If you really love to cheer GO FOR IT! Your friends support you and that is a GREAT thing! Your mom may not get it now, but have a sit down with her and tell her your worries about your arm and your feelings. Have a real heart-to-heart. You will benefit from it and so will your mom. Parents don't always understand teens, with or without an injury!

Have you seen the Teen Message Board?
http://ubpn.org/messageboard/forum. ... 70&start=0
Email Amy and she can set you up there, Amy@UBPN.org

Marieke 33, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
RobertRacer
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 9/23/07 - LTBPI / Motorcycle collision

Post by RobertRacer »

Bowie,
If you want to do it, and you feel like you can do it, then go do it. Kids are cruel in elementary, not so bad in high school. In fact I think you'd probably find that the other girls care for you and are even more likely to help you out. I know what you are going through although it sounds like your BPI may be a little better than mine. Its 95% mental. I think you are probably more self consious than people are truly mean. I'm sure there are one or two idiots out there who might try to make fun, as with anything, but thats their problem. I get self conscious a little too, but I know I have to live with it forever so I don't let it hold me back. Just be confident in yourself and you'll be fine. Believe me, I completely understand why you feel like you do, but think about it like this.....it's cheerleading now, it may be something else in the future, but you don't want to look back and regret not trying. Doesn't really matter if you succeed as long as you try. Good luck!
Robby
Robert - LTBPI/34/AL - Yamaha meets Ford Expedition....not good.
morgiebear1995

Post by morgiebear1995 »

Hi Angel!

Have your mom contact me on my e-mail & I will put you in touch with my daughter Morgan who will be 14 in April. She has a left BPI from birth. I know she would love to talk with ya. She was a cheerleader for two years & although she finds it not to be her thing she never let her arm stand in the way. I doubt she will cheer again, but only because she enjoys playing the guitar much more. She just had surgery in Dec so has awhile still before she can get back into her activities.
ays_websteru@hotmail.com

Take care,
-A
bowieangel

Post by bowieangel »

Hello morgiebear1995,

This is Angel's mom. Thank you for responding and offering a connection with your daughter. We would love to have Angel and Morgan connect. I tried to send you an email, but it kept bouncing back undeliverable. You may send me one at aybrock@comcast.net.

Thanks again,

Angela
torie

Post by torie »

You sound like you have a great outlook. Be proud of yourself for being so positive. My daughter is 5 and I hope she grows to be as confident and out going as you. Please keep up it up,it is very inspiring.
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

I'd say go for it! When I was in high school, I did karate... I actually did karate for 6 years. I know that I looked funny at times, but I was able to laugh it off. In order to not be embarassed of your injury, develop a lively sense of humor, laugh at yourself. You are truly confidant when you can laugh at yourself!! I hope that helps!!
~Mel, 21, LOBPI
~Mel/23/LOBPI