anyone out there with breakial blexus neuritis that did not have an acciden

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
joy donohoe

anyone out there with breakial blexus neuritis that did not have an acciden

Post by joy donohoe »

hi all would love to hear from people who was told there
breakial plexus was viral,as there was no other explanation , and what treatment did you recieve
joy
rbwalton

Re: anyone out there with breakial blexus neuritis that did not have an acciden

Post by rbwalton »

Hi Joy-
You already know my story. My BPN officially has no cause at this point, except they are leaning towards it being viral. Thing is, I do not remember being sick prior to either of my two attacks. As far as treatment- So far, they are letting me heal on my own. And, it is not getting much worse, so I guess that is working OK at this point.
Good Luck!!!
Richard
joy donohoe

Post by joy donohoe »

hi richard, great to hear from you mark was also told to go home and let it heal itself but that was nearly 7 years ago, now mark has compleatly lost the use of his arm,he has also lost all muscle down one side of his back and chest and in constant pain,mark is due to go into hospital in feb to have the first muscle transfer unfortunatly it is now to late to have a c7 transfer so he will always battle with pain,but at least we have a bit of hope now that he might get the use of his arm back, pleaseb dont wait around richard get asecond opinion hope you are well.

joy
rbwalton

Post by rbwalton »

Well, My right arm is mostly unchanged. I can lift it, but it hurts a bit. I cannot lift much weight at all with it. But then again, my hand cannot grip much weight comfortably.

In the last few days, my left arm has begun to act up. Actually, from my neck to the top of the left shoulder has been sore, and aching across the top of my shoulder. I am getting a bad feeling about that. It is reminding me of how my original problems started on the right. They said it would not go to the left side. But, I know it can in these cases, and is starting to feel like it is.

Earlier, I started myself on prednisone to attempt to minimize any of the damage if this is yet another bout of this strange unknown thing that is casing the trouble on the right.

In any case, life goes on. I hope your son has success in his surgery.
Good Luck!!!
Richard
Janis

Post by Janis »

I am not sure yet if I have this problem but I have been studying the information out there and have wondered if this is what has happened to my arm...I received a flu shot over 3 weeks ago and the pain has been present ever since. It was very painful shot and when I remarked to the student nurse who injected me that it nearly took me off my chair she said that the serum was thick and cold and that was the reason. My arm has not been the same since then. Pain is constant, muscle pain, very hard to move arm without assistance, I have to be very careful when using my left arm because I do not know if it will be able to support whatever I am carrying or lifting....this is all because of an injection...I was fine and no problems ever with this arm..has anyone ever heard of this? I have tried Celebrex, gentle PT exercises, rest, pain meds, nothing seems to be really helping...any advice?
joy donohoe

Post by joy donohoe »

hi richard, sorry yo hear you are having problems,but please dont hang around or it will be to late, get a second opinion,
joy
rbwalton

Post by rbwalton »

Hi Janis. . .
A doctor you trust would be the one to ask in your case, but in general, the literature suggests that BPN has been linked to certain injections, and flu shots are on the lists I have seen. This does not mean that is what is going on for you. I have not had a flu shot yet, but those I know who have tell me that the tenderness and pain can linger for up to a month, even if the injection is without pain. This site lists the usual progression and symptoms. Saying all that, three weeks is along time to get over a shot. I would let a doctor know about it.

Causes listed, from http://www.emedicine.com/pmr/topic58.htm

Causes
The exact cause of brachial neuritis is unknown, but the condition has been linked to many antecedent events or illnesses, as follows:
• Viral infection (particularly of the upper respiratory tract)
• Bacterial infection (eg, pneumonia, diphtheria, typhoid)
• Parasitic infestation
• Surgery12
• Trauma (not related to shoulder)
• Vaccinations (eg, influenza, tetanus, diphtheria, tetanus toxoids, pertussis [DPT], smallpox, swine flu)
• Childbirth
• Miscellaneous medical investigative procedures (eg, lumbar puncture, administration of radiologic dye)
• Systemic illness (eg, polyarteritis nodosa, lymphoma, systemic lupus erythematosus, temporal arteritis, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome)
Good Luck!!!
Richard
joy donohoe

Post by joy donohoe »

hi richard, i think this message was meant for janice.

joy
rbwalton

Post by rbwalton »

Hello Joy-
Yes, that other post was for Janis. She had asked about the possibility that flu vaccinations can cause BPN. I answered it was possible.
Now, back to you again- I have seen so many doctors in the last year or so, I am content for now. The only thing that is not certain for me is what is causing my problem. In all likelihood, I was born with the genetic predisposition to this, and there is nothing that could be done to mitigate it now. My problem has never been as severe as your description of Mark’s. I never had the complete loss of function- well, maybe for a few days- but it came back, just as the websites about BPN suggest it will- or should- for my type of BPN problem.
For me, I can look forward to recurring bouts of BPN. I know this because it has happened twice already- and maybe a third time has been averted by prednisone? It is too soon to say yet. But, as the sites suggest, my attacks may vary in their intensity. I will have a short time of loss and pain, followed by a slow partial recovery. Sure it will slowly worsen over the long haul. But, it should not get as bad as 99% of those who post here. I consider myself lucky that I have not had the more severe losses of most, including your son.
Good Luck!!!
Richard
Drake's Mom

Post by Drake's Mom »

Hi i just wanted to add Drake's story to the list. His BPI was due to the West Nile Virus. But they did an EMG on his legs, because after three days in the hospital he couldn't stand or walk, as well as his arm and they found it was not just his arm that was affected but his leg as well. His arm was completely paralysed at first but now after two years he has about 35% use of it and his leg, i think i'm the only one who can tell that there is a difference between the two. The symptoms of West Nile are SO similar to a cold or flu that some people have had it and never knew, but there is more and more cases of West Nile affecting the Nervous System like Drake's. So what was thought to be 'Brachial Nueritis' at first and would heal on it's own in 2 to 3 years has turned into a lifelong injury that will never heal completely. I still try to keep up with things and try everything but Drake is about tired of it all!!

Drake's Mom
Teresa