mayo clinic article on BPI

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Re: mayo clinic article on BPI

Post by admin »

jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

I found this website thinking it was the right one-it's not, it's a site where people make complaints about the clinic. So maybe it might be a place to start if the information in the article is misleading. It looks as though they are not very receptive to any form of criticism, I'm afraid in my experience that is pretty common among institutions, many do not like to have any aspect of their business questioned or criticised, irrespective of whether they are giving out misleading information. http://www.mayoinfo.com/mayo_today.htm
HAILEYS MOM

Post by HAILEYS MOM »

http://www1.mayoclinic.org/insidemayoclinic/

IF YOU GO TO THE MAYO CLINIC PAGE ITS UNDER PUBLICATIONS AND ITS THE SUMMER 2002. HERE IS WHERE I FOUND IT.

KELLY
KathM@ubpn.org

Post by KathM@ubpn.org »

Thanks Kelly

The article was quite good... even mentioning that they were told that the baby would recover on his own and showing how people have to search for answers.

I found the part about the birth canal. It is misleading... I also found a part that said adult injured have pain and nothing was mentioned about baby pain... hmmm
These are area's we need to make people aware of...

Kath
francine

Post by francine »

Rich - I sent it off to Dr. Nath- I'm sure they will correct this as soon as it gets into the web people's hands. Thanks for pointing it out.
-francine
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I am sure TCH are well aware there are many bpi clinics worldwide, so I believe this is deliberately misleading and I'll be surprised if they change it. I'll be emailing them also about this, it's very unethical.
Pam W

Post by Pam W »

I agree with RichMA. I read the article and felt the same way. You put into words exactly what I was thinking. Thank you.
We have been seen at the Mayo clinic for 9 years and have been quite happy with the surgeries and the care.
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

I think treatment for bpi is still a new field by comparasion.

Each time we see a story like this published we should consider it a good thing... We have been so long with out any publications on this subject... and this is just the beginning..

Kath