i just wanted to say hello

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
clearyaj

i just wanted to say hello

Post by clearyaj »

My name is andy and i am a 31 year old guy living in St. Paul, Minnesota in the Merriam Park neighborhood. I have a brachial plexus injury from birth to my right arm and hand. It is a fairly severe injury as far as they go. I was a breech baby and frankly, had a big head! And was injured during birth. I was born and raised in Cleveland and had the benefit of wonderful medical care at the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. That said, despite many surgeries there wasnt much to be done.

I was an avid athlete in my younger years and still remain very active so while my arm has always been an issue, it has never been an barrier to success.

I'm not sure why i'm telling you this other than because i just discovered this site and felt an overwhelming desire to connect. thank you for being here!

andy
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Re: i just wanted to say hello

Post by veggiebug »

Hello, nice to meet you and welcome. We all have different stories and yet we are very similar, but one thing is true of all of us, we are thankful just knowing we aren't alone. It was so amazing when I first went to camp and though I wondered if it would be beneficial enough, it was the most amazing experience to meet wonderful people and for a weekend I wasn't the outsider..and going home after was so much easier knowing that I have an entire support team out there.

They've helped me a lot, and mostly I came here at the beginning for the same reason, to just connect.

Now it's grown into so much more.

Welcome and remember no question is a dumb one, trust me I think I've tested that theory a little.

-Traci
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Welcome Andy,

What part of Cleveland are you from? I was born in Mount Sinai Hospital in Cleveland. My parents took me to what was then Crile Hospital, the forerunner of Cleveland Clinic. Crile said that there was nothing they could do for me, so my parents went back to Mount Sinai.

I grew up in Cleveland Heights. Now I live in Twinsburg. There is a large age difference between us, so we wouldn't have known each other even if we'd been neighbors. I'm just curious.

Joanie, LOBPI, 59 years
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Welcome to the site!
Glad that you have found us. I too was breech, but was preemie and just got stuck... the MD pulled and that was it, damage done.

There is another OBPI on the boards who is in Minnesota to, Amy. I am sure she will see this and reply too!

:) Marieke, LOBPI :)
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Charlie O
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: ROBPI resulting from a birth injury. Limited motion at the shoulder, elbow, and wrist. No pain or surgeries.

Post by Charlie O »

Welcome, Andy. I'm 46 years old, right-side OBPI. I was a 10 lb baby and a month late. Forceps did the rest.

I found this site a couple of months ago and it has really helped me gain a sense of community, update my understanding of my injury, and get medical facts.

I think you'll like it here. Lots of cool people.
If daydreaming were criminalized, I’d be a lifer.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Welcome Andy
I think most of us found the site because we were curious. I was shocked to find out so many people had the same birth injury. Like most of us here you were raised like a normal child. I feel that was the best gift my parents gave me.

I did not know how much I wanted to meet someone like me until I found UBPN 9 years ago... Things have all been up hill since. Great people here and I loved meeting so many of them at camp.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
TinaT

Post by TinaT »

Hi & Welcome Andy

Just as Kath said, I was curious and looking for answers when I found this place, that was 9 years ago and I have been here ever since.

I was a 4 lb. preemie that jumped right out?? Ended up with a BiLateral BPI. Funny thing is, when I went looking for my birth/injury records no one could find them. I'm assuming you can figure that one out.

No worries though, I've had and continue to have a wonderful beautiful life. One of the BEST parts is all the caring compassionate friends I have met HERE. This is a Treasure Trove of information help and most of all understanding. Welcome Andy.

Tina 52 BiOBPI
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

WELCOME ANDY! to our UBPN Family-it is all that for me.
I found this web site at age 66(also the 1st time I had a name for our injuries) , been to 2 UBPN Family Camps and as Kath said it's been all up hill since. --such sharing and fantastic information and emotional healing.

There is no such thing as a dumb question on any of the Message Boards and everyone is welcome on all Forums.

Carolyn J
LOBPI/70--adult sometimes ;)

Message was edited by: Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
clearyaj

Post by clearyaj »

Well! What a nice welcome. Thank you to everyone that took the time to say hello and I look forward to being a regular participant on the boards. I'll keep my eye out for that MN member too!

Andy
drunkinemu

Post by drunkinemu »

Hi,

My name is David. Im 22 from Southern California, born a 10lb baby + stupid doctor landed me here! Ya, didn't know there were so many people that shared the same injury as myself. My bp was my right side - I have some nerve damage in my arm and a slight disadvantage to muscle growth as well....but its not noticeable unless your totally looking....but I am super super self conscious about it - but reading around on the forums has been helping me alittle. Anyway, just wanted to say hi.