Who can't use arm/hand at all?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Erica DeAnn

Who can't use arm/hand at all?

Post by Erica DeAnn »

I'm amazed that so many of you have some use of your arm and/or hand on the BPI side. I can't even move my fingers! I'm just wondering how many others can't use their arm or hand AT ALL. It's weird knowing that so many of you can at least slightly hold things or open things. The only thing I can do is move my elbow up about 4 inches. Other than that, it's permanently bent and I have to manually move my arm out of the way sometimes...I don't know how many times I've banged the damn thing on something!!!

Take care,

Erica DeAnn
Kathleen

Re: Who can't use arm/hand at all?

Post by Kathleen »

Erica

I can move mine and my fingers...

But my elbow is always banging something!!

I seem to be missing body boundary on the right side.
I am not aware where my arm is - even if I can move it and use it a bit.... just don't have any perception of any thing on that side... I have walked right into the walls on that side... Also when I walk with anyone I cannot have them on my right... I just walk into them or push them over to the side....

Back to your question I wonder too!!
Kath
Sharon

Post by Sharon »

Erica, I can also move my arm and fingers (hopefully after my wrist heals, I'll still be able to) I run into doorways and walls like Kath does. Only now I also seem to bump into people that are too close or walk by me to close. How embarassing. I notice that reflex and response time is far worse than it ever was. I call it delayed reaction. And don't ask me to learn something new that requires my left arm, hand or fingers. Communication from the brain to the arm parts don't work any more.

I haven't been on the board for awhile so I don't know your age or if there might be help for you or not.

There are many times when my arm hurts that I have to lift it and place it where I want it. And of cosurse like the others it does not lift too high.

Since July 10, I've had a cast to also carry which is very challenging. Arm and Shoulder just screams more and when weighting in at the dr office it makes the pounds go up LOL It would be interesting to find out how much use and at what age one is when comparing use of arms.
Sharon
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

I can use that hand and fingers, can rotate up about75 degrees,back maybe ten, fifteen, anout maybe 35-40 but none without lifting the shoulder, interestingly enough I seem to have the same extent of injury as Martin Sheen, from watching him I see a lot of similarities, its like, I can move just enough to look normal, but not if you're paying close attention, and my arm is about 3 inches shorter, and the shoulder's rounded. I've always had quite a bit of pain though. Also, I do walk into things a lot more of that side, and I can't crawl.
Carrie
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Carrie

So I see you have been watching him move too!!
I move like he does... my elbow out... scapular winging.... writs bent and I life my arm from the shoulder....

I watch the show just to see someone move like me....LOL...

and of course my shoulder is smaller and my arm is approx. 3 1/2 inches shorter...

Kath
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Kath-
What is scapular winging? I've wondered that for awhile. Yeah I watch the show to watch him move, and we have quite a few of the same habits: walking with one f both hands in pockets, linking fingers together to move the bpi arm unnoticed and gesturng primarily with the uninjured arm. You too?
Carrie
sunflowers

Post by sunflowers »

OK Call me unaware... What TV SHOW with MArtin Sheen... I don't watch more than Sesame street. My son is ten and similar, it would be nice to point out someone like him...besides Mr Dole ...he really can't relate.

He has some movement... but constant OT and PT and estim and excersises to be able to move it... as well as terrible trouble with contractures when he is growing.
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

The show is The West Wing, he plays the president of the United States.
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Carrie

Yup... me tooo............ lol... I just think it is amazing to watch someone move like me just by turning on the tv.... LOL...

I even wrote to the producers and asked why they were going to give him MS when he already had a BPI.... thought they might think about it...

I bet he thinks he is the only with this birth injury too...!!!!!

Back to Scapular winging... I have been off searching my links... I use to have a good one that explained it in technical terms but it is not there any more...

So I will try... My mom called me her Angel with the Broken wing... I never quite understood why until I was abut twenty and someone took my picture on the beach from the back... and then I saw the one wing was protruding.... I bet Francine has a good link... and I hope she pops up here with it for you...

Anyway watch for the new show and when he turns his back you will see that one of his wings stick out ... it sorta slips to the side...
Darn where is Francine when I need her...

Hope this helps... Hope you are having a great time in school... nice to hear from you....
Kath
Kathleen

Post by Kathleen »

Sharon

Sorry I did not post this before... How is your arm doing and how did you break it.... you are supposed to take care of the bpi arm now...

Do you have balance issues?.... some of the others say they trip alot...
I don't I am very careful... but I think I have good balance.... how did I miss out on that one...LOL

Remember to exercise the fingers.... I know about the arthritis... I just read a book on sugar and arthritis... I have now removed all sugar from my diet... no white flour.... nothing that has a lot of sugar in it... and boy does it make a difference in the pain issues with arthritis in the hands...

Take care and feel better
Kath