ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
karlos

Re: ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Post by karlos »

In reply to Damen ,
If you check out the community section on the link that Liz posted, youll see a bunch of people listed telling there stories.
Click on Karl and you can read thru the surgerys iv had having also avulsed c5 6 7,
any questions please fire away.

Karl
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Here's a direct link to the stories Karl has posted about http://tbpiukgroup.homestead.com/Community.html hope this helps. Warning-these stories are quite powerful and can still evoke strong feelings in me, many years after my bpi. They can also give great hope of some return to 'normal'-we all got there in time, with or without an arm! If anyone here wants to submit their story please email Liz or myself. :0)
david wilson

Post by david wilson »

just found this site. dave wilson bp avulsed roots 2.5 mo. i am new to this and am glad you are there. just got the avulsed diagnosis yesterday. it ruined a really nice day here.
George

Post by George »

Hi David.....and welcome. Sorry you got that bad news to ruin your day. You are fairly early into your injury. Have you considered nerve graph surgery to try to restore some movement to your arm?? You might want to keep it open as an option. I was injured almost three years ago, fortunately no avulsions. I learned to eat and write all over again and do normal things in an abnormal way, and gave up doing things I simply could not do anymore. Still can't sleep on my left side. But, I'm happy with my lot. How else would you get to meet great people like the ones on this board ? :o)

George
ps.....Which nerves did they say were avulsed ??
cbrown

Post by cbrown »

Hi I'm Christy wife to a ltbpi Anthony. Caused by a motorcycle accident on 8/5/02. He has severe pain. Almost unbearable. He is having a real hard time emotionally. Were still new to this so there is alot of more dr visits to go starting tomorrow a nerve conduction test? any one heard of it?
Nancy (Eric's Mom)

Post by Nancy (Eric's Mom) »

Yes,

E-mail me if you'd like. It's called an EMG. I JUST posted a summary on this website.
henraar

Post by henraar »

Hi I'm Jamie from Norfolk in the UK. I sufferd a TBPI four years ago in a road accident (pedestrian).

Just discoverd the site and look forward to joining in the messages boards.

take care
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

> Hi Karlos...I guess I could be called a lurker! I
> visit every day, but most times I do not have any
> good info to share. I am the mother of an almost 8
> year old daughter, Elizabeth Anne, who was born with
> a right brachial plexus. Hope we get 50 names in
> all!!! lol lol....Peace and blessings to all...Louise
> from Northeastern Maine, U.S.A.

Hi, my name is Linda i am from nc and i have a daughter with bpi she is now two years old.. I would love to talk with you and many others who have a child with bpi.
please e-mail me @ forgetmenot1976@aol.com
thanks
david wilson

Post by david wilson »

hey george
looks like c5c6c7 don;t know if partial or compleat. i sure have a lot of sensation in that arm.
yes i will consider nerve grafts if that is what it takes and it is a great group of folks.
have been sleeping on my back since accident. seems kind of normal now and could always eat with both hands . the hard one for me is writing left handed, quite a chalenge, oh, niether can i spell left handed.
dave
George

Post by George »

Don't worry David.........the writing will come, no problem. I noticed from the other messages that you are still wearing a splint/sling to keep your shoulder/arm socket supported. Subluxation is pretty common with this injury, and like you, it gave me the most pain, along with all the tingling and stingers that shot continually through my arm and hand. I had two answers concerning splints. One doc said to wear one to help with pain. Another doc said not to wear one because of possible contractures at the elbow. Well........since I'm the one who was having to endure this crap, I chose to wear it when it helped me the most, and I simply didn't want to walk around with my arm dangling out of the socket all day. I just didn't think it would help in the healing process either.....should my deltoid decide to start working again, which it eventually did. But the contracture issue is very real too. It's important to keep moving those affected joints in an effort to keep the joints loose and the muscles stretched, in anticipation of function return. You really don't want muscles siezing up on you. Very hard to correct.

One other thing. Take care of your good arm. You can overuse it quickly if you're not careful. I learned this the hard way. Good luck......

George