KISS concert video from last night - Maia is the drummer.

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

KISS concert video from last night - Maia is the drummer.

Post by F-Litz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSuTCnhVu30

that little boy who opens - he is 7 !! he put a blood capsule in his mouth... he was SO CUTE!!! tried to look mean and he just look more and more sweet!

Now that Maia is out of pain her drumming has really changed. It's more easy for her to stay on beat now. Lefty (bpi) was able to do a little bit more this time. The pain thing (being out of pain) made a huge difference in her playing and in her stress level. She did 4 songs this show instead of 2 and didn't walk away in tears from the pain and has no pain today, too. (thank you Dr. Tedd !)
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Re: KISS concert video from last night - Maia is the drummer.

Post by marieke »

Very cool! Glad that Maia is doing so well and having fun!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
s8n

Post by s8n »

big kiss fan here them kids rocked it wish i could still have fun like that good going
bfaithda
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My name is Bridget, my son Brayden has a LOBPI. He was born 5-14-07 and weighted 11lbs 3ozs and was 22inches long and got stuck on my pelvis coming out. All 5 nerves were involved 2 ruptured and 3 avulsed, and also had Horner's Syndrome. He had primary surgery in St. Louis with Dr. Parks when he was 3 months old. He used synthetic materials to fuse the nerves together, because the nerves in his calves were not long enough. Brayden currently does aqua therapy, PT, OT and speech therapy. He has little movement in his arm and hand, but that does not stop him from having fun and being a normal boy!!!

Post by bfaithda »

That was awesome!!! Maia is a great drummer!!!!
melnruss

Post by melnruss »

Fran,

I just watched the video you posted on you tube entitled "Pre & Post". Forgive my ignorance and you probably posted it before, but what surgery did she have?

Thanks,
Melinda
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

that was a college student who had a humeral osteotomy
- didn't she have a great result? and we email every so often and she's still so glad she had it done... she's a sweetheart.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Haven't had a chance before now to say my son & I enjoyed Maia's concert. She is such a great little drummer and performer.
Keep sharing her video concerts...
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Amy Clark

Post by Amy Clark »

Not a fan of the music (at all!), but I did want to say that I am amazed at what she can do! If I have understood your past posts correctly, I would guess that my daughter's injury is similar to your daughter's. Lexi is only six, and I have often wondered what she will try and fail at and what she will conquer. So far I have let her try anything she wanted to. I am always interested to see how others have done. Thanks for the post!

Amy
F-Litz

Post by F-Litz »

Amy - I was NEVER a KISS fan... I learned so much about KISS and what they did and the theatrics that became the "show". That's what School of Rock is about.. they not only play the music but they learn all about the bands, what powered them, who they are as people, etc. I love this school!

Maia's arm can only move so far and you can see that she plays a one beat rhythm with lefty (bpi)..and occasionally she turns her whole body and lefty will play it's couple of bangs on a different drum.. it's righty and both of her legs that steal the show. She has a great mentor - the drummer from Def Leppard. We're hoping to meet him one day soon so he can explain to us what kind of set up he came up with to get more sound out of his drum set by using his legs more...

when there is a will, there's a way :) just about any instrument can be adapted or the methodology of playing it can be modifed as well.... although Maia couldn't do the clarinet because her arm just didn't move in that direction nor were her fingers strong enough to press the buttons in (at all).. but we did find a one-handed clarinet that had a stand to hold it up, just no one who could teach her how to play it! hahaha

best of luck with lexi... the brachial plexus palsy foundation has music scholarships available for kids with bpi.. it can help buy a new instrument or pay for some lessons.... http://www.brachialplexuspalsyfoundation.org

-francine