Fundraising for medical exp. ?

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Re: Fundraising for medical exp. ?

Post by jennyb »

There's a post on the tbpi board today from a guy who cn't afford his pain meds-if anyone knows any way to help him get the help he needs please reply to his post:0)
DeShawn

Post by DeShawn »

Speaking from experience I think that it comes down to doing what you have to do. When Rain had primary surgery, we were not able to afford all of the expenses (not covered by insurance) and my sister hosted an envelope party for my family. She just explained what she was trying to do when she invited everyone. It's really amazing how generous people can be when you are genuinely in need of help. I was so happy when the gifts were given us. We received enough money to fund the trip in full which really was a life-saver. It's hard to ask for help, but all of us at one time or another need it. I hope that this family gets exactly what they are needing to help their little one.

DeShawn
marymom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Teen aged home birthed son with OBPI

Post by marymom »

I think thinking of it as tacky
...is tacky.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

i think not posting a guest's opinion is tacky.....
Lenni

Post by Lenni »

You know what everyone? It is important for us all to not judge anyone else and what they choose to do for their child or how others feel about situations! I can see why the guest may have felt this was tacky, but dear guest, maybe they have no pennies to roll? Who knows the reasons why this family chose this path, anyone could guess? The best we can do is inform them of this wonderful, supportive and knowledge based message board, and pray they join us and we can help.

Lenni
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Hey, i am a teacher up in Quebec, Canada and we are not poor but did not have enough money to pay for all expenses related to both surgeires in 2 months. So we did a t-shirt sale (not with Samuel's face on it !!!) and earned a reasonable amount. It also gave us the oportunity to do awareness. The backside of all that is that poeple still ask about Samuel's injuries. It is nice to them to care for my son but sometimes poeple are not all so delicate( even when they are teachers). I get really upset when they say well he is not to handicaped...well after 2 nerve grafts it is quite a good thing he does not look to injured but it comes and get me everytime. So i guess everything has a backside and you have to choose if you want to deal with it. Sometimes you would like to avoid the subject, just to not think too much about it and someone, to be nice, asks you about THE arms...not your boy...THE arms of my son. Well, folks do not judge poeple. We do not have all the same social status and the $$$ that come with it. I would rather make a check to a hospital than sell 1000 t-shirts but i just did not have the choice.
KarenHillyer

Post by KarenHillyer »

Hi
When I read this thread, once again I thanked God for our National Health Service in the UK
Surgery is free, staying at the hospital is free, one hospital has a 'home from home' house with lovely Kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms which you can stay in for as long as you need. It's run by a charity. IF you can afford it, the whole family can stay for £15.00 per stay ( no matter how long) if you can't afford it NO problem.
The other 3 hospitals will allow one parent to stay on the ward and another can usually stay in the spare rooms at the nurses home.
The only thing you need to find money for is your travel and in certain circumstances that can be reimbursed at the time of the hospital visit and you food- which you would need to buy if you were at home anyway.
All the medications/aftercare/bandages etc etc are paid for by the NHS
it's not perfect, but I think it's wonderful!
Karen
Marnie

Post by Marnie »

I ditto marymom.
christy

Post by christy »

Yes, I sorta favored her short but on the mark opinion myself. Sorry if we made the original poster feel badly for thinking poorly of this family. BUT if you did not have pennies to roll, your child needed the surgery--what lengths would you go to or where would you draw the line and say oh, well, do without?