Girl Scouts

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
LeeAnne

Girl Scouts

Post by LeeAnne »

I know I've seen some post here about cub scouts,but what about girl scouts? Michaela has wanted to be one because a few older friends are, so I signed her up to be a Daisy(Kindergarden) Scout.The troop only has 5 girls so she'll get more attention and the troop leader wants the parents to stay for meetings if they want.I told her that I was going to ask to stay at least until she gets comfortable with Michaela. One thing I've learned , when you throw all this medical info about a child at someone they're skiddish at first.At this age they mainly do crafts and day camps.I'm thinking about future though.Camping is one thing I'm really worried about. Girl Scouts seem to have changed alot since I was one.Anyone here with more recent experience with ideas of what may be challenges for Michaela? Any input will be appreciated. Thanks, LeeAnne
LeeAnne

Re: Girl Scouts

Post by LeeAnne »

Just bringing this to the tyop of the list, Thanks, LeeAnne
Lenni

Post by Lenni »

Hi LeeAnne,

I am not sure about how things go in the US but Ashley belongs to sparks, through Girl Guides, and loves it! They do spend allot of time making crafts etc, which she loves! The one thing she is not comfortable with is running around playing games. At the end of each meeting they play a few games such as tag or something. I explained to the leaders why Ashley has difficulties and chooses not to play and they started adding games she was more comfortable with!

Good luck to your daughter, I hope you both enjoy!

Lenni
My Alexyss

Post by My Alexyss »

My oldest daughter, Ashton, belongs to girl scouts. She has ADHD(her youngest sister has bpi). She has alot of medical stuff and her leader did great with it! Everyone is there to help and she did not do the camping thing. I think that might be later-she was a brownie. I say go for it! She will love it.
Tracey
Alexyss rbpi
Tessie258

Post by Tessie258 »

I think no matter what you do you have to volunteer and be involved. People who are scout leaders are scout leaders because they wanted to be involved in their children's lives...I was a Cub Scout leader for a long time and I saw the kids who were just dropped off and I saw the ones who's parents were involved and by far the kids who had a parent who were involved did much better. And they were much more accountable for their actions because they knew mom or dad would find out what was going on!!!
I think anything you do to keep them busy is great!!!!
T.
marymom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Teen aged home birthed son with OBPI

Post by marymom »

Ive had older kids in scouts- I cant see anything about it that would be a problem.
When we were at the BPI campEPIRG in 99 the kids I met were justlike Max I mean, so they ran with their arm held like an L but they still ran around and played- I dont see any reason why they wouldnt want to go camping either...unless its an age thing but I mean any reason related specifically to the BPI-
Primrose

Post by Primrose »

I am a girl scout leader. I have been the assistant leader of my dd's (no injury) troop for 2 years. This will be my first year as the actual leader, I'm excited. They are 2nd & 3rd grade brownies. I think girl scouts is an awesome organization for any girl, including differently able girls. They do encourge inclusiveness. It's about much more than crafts & games. It's goal is to teach well roundedness. positive virtues, responsibiltiy, respect for self and others, making the world a better place, and mostly girls exploring their own limits and finding their strenghts. I think it would not only be a benifit to the differently abled child, but the other girls in the troop. Of course the first couple of years do tend to involve a lot of crafts and games there is much more. Last year our 1st yr brownies went on a nature hike, learned about China for thinking day, went to the creative discovery museum, went grocery shopping for elderly shut ins, made cards for meals on wheels, sang Christmas caroles at the nursing home. And all that's just a tiny bit of what they did. While I can think of a couple things (roller skating, and biking) we did that may have been a challange for an injured child (we would certainly have taken that into consideration had we had a child with a challange in out troop) the idea is to "try it" not accomplish it, but for the girls to be able to have pride in the fact that they tried something new. I say go for it to any girl considering scouting. If Atticus (LOBPI) was a girl I'd have him in for sure. Just remember that the leaders are just voleenteers. We are trained, but not in specialized challanges. Be a part of the troop, stay during meetings, offer to be an assistant leader so you can help be involved in planning. Okay so I guess I sound like I'm selling something here. Sorry I got carried away.
Pam
LeeAnne

Post by LeeAnne »

Thanks, for all the replies. Primrose, I knew about the things they try to teach and felt that my girl scout experience was positive, but (dating myself) that was 30 years ago.Since so much has changed, even the promise got revised, I just needed the ideas. I have always felt that i need to be involved hands on with everything Michaela does but she's getting to where she wants something for herself so I'm gonna help the leaders behind the scenes so to speak,juggle helping them, without Michaela knowing how much. It's hard because most anyone is uncomfortable with a different situation(leaders) and she just wants to be "normal". It may become a tightrope act for me.If all goes well I want to become a co-leader next year. Thanks again for all the input. LeeAnne
chrisnmattsmom

Post by chrisnmattsmom »

My daughter Christina, who is 13 years old, also has Erbs. She was in Girl Scouts as a Daisy and one year as a Brownie. She rejoined at 11 years old and the only information I gave to the leaders on the trip form is that she can't carry or lift heavy objects and that she has weak shoulders. They've never commented on this information thus far.
Christina went camping for a weekend with the Girl Scouts and I went too. I try not to make an issue of it because she's really no different than anyone else.
I know your concerns are real, as they should be, but Christina tends to be a private person and doesn't want to be the center of attention. She is planning a weekend camping trip with the Girl Scouts this fall. Please feel free to chat with me again. I hope this helps.

Joanne
CW1992

Post by CW1992 »

Hi. Brittney is 10 with a left arm injury and has been a scout since Daisy year. She has not had any big problems. If something was difficult for her to do she knew to ask for help. She's been doing crafts, camping, selling cookies, boating, biking, sewing, cooking - and so on over the years - having lots of fun and made some great friends. They are going camping again in Oct and she can't wait. The girls get to go grocery shopping together before this camp out and she is really excited about deciding what they'll need for the weekend. From what I've seen as the kids get older - each troop makes decisions about what badges they want to earn or field trips that they want to go on - by deciding as a troop - sort of like a family of friends. Brittney's troop wanted to go horse back riding last year, and to the circus one year. They camp twice a year because her troop all loves to camp - but there are always troop members who can't make some of the activities because they are in dance recitals or out of town or whatever. You can choose what you want to let her do.
Brittney's leaders know that her nerves were injured in her left arm and shoulder when she was born - but Brittney and I have never made an issue out of it.

I was a Daisy leader last year for my youngest daughter's troop. (We earned all of our petals!) Anyway.... I've been thinking back and one thing that might be a problem is the "friendship squeeze". All of the girls get in a circle at the end of their meeting. They cross arms and join hands with their right arm over their left arm. The way our troop did it was that you begin the circle by one girl making a wish and then she squeezes the hand of the girl beside her. She then makes a wish and squeezes the next girls hand to signal her to make a wish. When the "squeeze" goes all of the way around the circle - the girls are supposed to UNFOLD their arms all at once by turning around and walking underneath the arm crossed on top. In my troop there were always a few who'd get confused and turn the wrong way or squeeze too hard or UNFOLD too rough. I was just thinking that if Michaela's troop ends their meetings with this squeeze - her arm might get jerked or twisted so maybe you might want to find out more about it - (didn't Michaela have a recent surgery?)
Hope this helps,
Christy