Just a curious question about pushing during labor

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
admin
Site Admin

Just a curious question about pushing during labor

Post by admin »

How many of us, or women that you know personally (not necessarily BPI or any injury) had the anesthesiologist/crna or OB nurses push on your stomach to assist you in pushing during delivery? One of the anesthesia groups in our area is livid that they were included in the lawsuit as they "were just there for the epidural and resuscitation of the infant" yet their CRNA did push. I think they need to go back and do a two (or one year even) study of the delivering mothers at the hospital and see just exactly how many times their staff DID push and not just insert the epidural. Thanks
admin
Site Admin

Re: Just a curious question about pushing during labor

Post by admin »

hi,the anthesia guy didnt help push,but i thought something was wrong when he inserted the epidural and never left,also i would like to know if any other mothers had two nurses on their knees on your stomache,am i alone out here?
m&mmom

Post by m&mmom »

I had two ob nurses pushing on my stomach.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I had an OB nurse up in bed with me pushing on my stomache.
Primrose

Post by Primrose »

Just my experince, but I've always found it ironic. With my 1st child (dd 8# 6oz) I had a nurse standing on a chair appling fundal pressure while the ob pulled with forceps, no injury. With my 2nd (ds 8# 9oz) I delivered with no intervention, and he has a LBPI. My midwife did pull a little, because he needed to be delivered asap, but to mine & DH memory it was not very forceful. BTW, no epidural with either delivery. We are not in litigation over ds' injury because we do feel our mid wife was negligent. However if it had been dd injured I would definately have looked into a suit.
Pam
jody o.

Post by jody o. »

During Jack's delivery, (I don't really remember), but my husband told our lawyer that both the nurse & the anesthesiologist pushed on my stomach at the end.
KarenHillyer

Post by KarenHillyer »

I had a student midwife pushing on my stomach ( fundal pressure) during my delivery. Fundal pressure is contra-indicated for deliveries complicated by shoulder dystocia as it can further impact the shoulder in the pelvis.
Karen
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I had two pushing on my stomach and one pushing on my pubic bone. And a doctor pulling my childs head as hard as he could..............
christy

Post by christy »

Same here--anesthesiologist did suprapubic and fundal. How does the fundal cause more problems and why would anyone do it to start with?
sharlon

Post by sharlon »

i was just talking to a friend who is expecting a rather large baby approx 10lbs, so i wanted to give her some info about delivery and we brought up fundal pressure. i wonder why anyone would ever use fundal pressure in any circumstances. it just seems like trouble. am i wrong