deoderant issues

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
my2girls

Re: deoderant issues

Post by my2girls »

My daughter is 7 (she does not have a BPI). On a hot day or one where she is running around or in gym, she has BAD B.O. if she doesn't wear deoderant. Some kids just have active sweat glands and go through the 1st stages of puberty early. I wouldn't be concerned.
crystal

Post by crystal »

my 6 year old wears deoderant too. Its normal for us. Jade uses a organic crystal she is now 8 and still has not started Puperty. In Oklahoma in 100 degree heat, kids just smell. they outside almost all day. so they stink! SHe just uses her non bpi arm for both arms.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

My 9 year old needs deodorant as well, my other kids didn't. she's bigger built than they were so may be entering the beginnings of puberty, body mass has a lot to do with that. She is also extremely active, she walks to school and runs, skips, jumps almost continuously at lunch and morning tea. Lots of her classmates, especially the girls, just don't do this at all; sedentary at age 9, a whole generation of heart disease waiting to happen!
Whatever causes it, she has to wear deodorant or the other kids comment. I'm reassured to find she's not the only one!
Jen NZ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Crystal --
I was so relieved when I read your post because my son Parker has no function in his affected hand and after I read these posts I started wondering for the first time --how WILL he apply deodorant?? But yes, I am sure he would use his unaffected hand for both! He would have figured this out without any interference with Mom as he does everything! I don't know why I waste my time worrying!
Pam
Cara
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: My oldest daughter suffered a LOBPI. We were sent home form the hospital without being told anything was wrong. She had nerve graft surgery at one year of age, tendon transfer and release at 3 1/2 yrs of age.

Post by Cara »

Rosalynn uses the unaffected arm to do both sides. My mom has had a stroke and perfers the spray stuff, but her aim isn't very good :) If you are worried about the enviroment they do make pump sprays (Although now I think about it pumping it up might be an issue for some depending on use of BPI arm) You decrease overspray with the pumps. Our youngest has a trach and respritory problems so if we use anything you spray from a can we have elminated it or switched to the pump to reduce airborn particles. The link below is not an endorsment was just looking for a picture of the stuff we found for my mom, we bought it locally.

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product.asp ... Spray+75mL
Joanie

Post by Joanie »

Under my non-affected arm I use the monkey scratch position, too. I place my BPI elbow on the edge of my dresser, or something else of an appropriate height if I'm not at home. When I take a small step back my underarm is exposed. Then I use my non-affected arm to get the deodorant in the affected armpit.

Joanie
AK1999

Post by AK1999 »

Most people are not sticking their noses in our children's pits the way we moms do. Yes kids have a bit of bo, but daily baths should help.

Most pediatricians do not recommend an antipersperant/deoderant for youngsters.

I finally relented with my 9 year old and purchased Tom of Main which is organic but we wear it sparingly not every day.

I think kids are starting to be smellier earlier, but our obsession in todays society with perfection is silly. Again, most kids do not really smell that bad until you stick your nose in their pit at the END of the day.
parent needing help
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 03/28/2000 OBPI. rc5-6 rupture, rc7-8 avulsion rt1 stretch. L humeral fx lc7 stretch

Post by parent needing help »

Not only is katie not able to do it herself the defect in her armpit makes it almost impossible to get anything in there deep enough to touch the skin! I will have to tell her the monkey scratch...maybe with some reconstructive surgery she will be able to get in there with it then.

Do your kids not have that deeeeeeeeeeep armpit? Surely she is not the only one, I know she has some serious injury going on but gosh..
Christy & Katie Chapman
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

If my girl doesn't wear it I can smell her from OUTSIDE the classroom when I'm waiting to pick her up-she showers twice a day!But she is VERY active.
I too have that deep armpit, my injury is pretty bad. I use a rollon and can shove it in there ok, but it's never as effective as on the unaffected side. It's a real issue.
JenNZ