deoderant issues

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
sarahmae

deoderant issues

Post by sarahmae »

Hi my son Payton, 6 ROBPI, needs to start wearing deoderant (he smells terrible!!) I don't mind helping him apply it but, I think it is important that he learns how to do it himself incase I am gone or for the future... How do others put it on with affected hand? I tried having him lay down but he just rubs it on his arm... it is kind of cute really! We ahd a good giggle plus it tickles him sooo bad!! Anyway, if you have suggestions that would be great!!
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Re: deoderant issues

Post by Judy-T »

I don't understand your ? Are you asking how to put deoderant on under you non bpi arm?
s8n

Post by s8n »

i just sit down rest bad arm on knee and lean back put it under flail arm then i put it under good arm like a monkey scratches lol thats the only way to explain it
s8n
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Post by Judy-T »

Thats how i do my good arm too . I use the monkey scratch position.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Yes, I always have done it by the Monkey Scratch method too. I make sure the deordrant is turned up high as it can so it goes on faster with less strokes for the "good" arm because we all need to save our "good" arms as much as possible..:)

Hugs all around,
Carolyn J
LOBPI Adult
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

I lean over which makes my arm fall away from my body enough that I can put on deoderant. Or I use a corner of a wall. I love wall corners they do it all. They help me with hair, earings and necklaces.

As for my non-BPI arm...I'm a monkey too. Oddly enough I don't think that's a normal reach for people without BPI's, someone saw me doing it one day and thought I was double jointed. If it doesn't work right away, just keep at it.

Or spray kind. Do they still have the kind? I know I used that for a little while when I was a kid.

-Traci
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

Sarahmae have you asked the doctor about this? Is there something going medically causing this? I'm not trying to be disrespectful - I am just wondering what would cause a 6 year old to have underarm odor? Is he maturing very fast?

Edited to add that parsley is a natural deodorant and you can eat it fresh- hard for a kid to do - or take parsley capsules - here's a link for it (really cheap!)
http://www.vitacost.com/NaturesWayParsleyLeaf
(unless there was some other [different than the usual] cause)

Message was edited by: F-Litz
claudia

Post by claudia »

Sarahmae:
I have to agree with Francine here. If he smells under his bpi arm and doesn't move the arm much, it is probably not b.o., but a yeast infection and should be treated accordingly. Ie: a trip to the peds.

Otherwise, I'd change soaps. Lever 2000 is antibacterial, that might help with the smell! But it can be drying.

As for deodorant, Juliana has recently started (sometimes) wearing deodorant. She is on target, as my other girls started at this time too. We bought her spray (sorry to the environment!). It has taken a little time to learn how not to spray herself in the head, but she's getting the hang of it. The spray cans don't work well upside down, so she has to move quickly. As for her bpi armpit, she grabs the door jam.

good luck,
claudia
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

I love my door jams and walls... they are great for hair, deodorant, earring and shaving.
The monkey scratch works well also.

Whatever works and is comfortable is my motto.

I would check with a doctor to see what is going on he is young to have BO.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
momofnickelman

Post by momofnickelman »

About being too early for deodorant.....boys sweat and smell more and at an earlier age. I know this from experience as I had many nephews who are older than my son. Also my son cannot move his arm as much therefore it smells faster and stronger.