Need your help on important projects - Photos & Video Clips

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Tanner's Mom

Need your help on important projects - Photos & Video Clips

Post by Tanner's Mom »

Hello,

I am currently working on a few projects for the United Brachial Plexus Network. One project is for website and the other is Spotlight On (a 5 minute documentary on bpis to air on national public television).

I am in need of collecting quality photos of babies, children and adults that have visual impact. I am hoping to collect images that show babies with limp arms, children right after surgery, hooked up to machines, in casts, splints, or braces, receiving electrical stimulation therapy, etc. I am also looking for images that clearly depict paralysis, deformities, posturing of the arm, internal rotation, winged scapulas, contractures, etc.

Lastly, the most challenging part, I am really hoping a few brave souls are willing to step forward and share their birth videos. These folks have a very rare and unique opportunity to assist with prevention efforts. Videos often clearly depict excessive traction being applied to the baby’s head and the true cause of this injury. Unfortunately, due to hospitals banning video taping across the nation, capturing the truth on videos is a fading occurrence. I have already shared mine in the past and have offered to do so again. However, my birth video is quite graphic due to the gigantic (and unnecessary ) episiotomy I was given and how close it was recorded, so honestly, I don’t know if we will be able to use mine, perhaps with editing we might. Surely we can protect identities, blur faces, etc., so that should not be an issue. If any of you know anyone who has captured their child’s injury on video and might consider sharing it with UBPN for this truly important cause, PLEASE contact me at Lisa@ubpn.org or call me at (928)856-1513. I would be happy to chat or answer any questions.

Any ideas, contacts or help would be greatly appreciated! We can only make a difference by coming together, by sharing and by truly caring to make a difference for future babies. Thank you so very much.

All the best,

Lisa Muscarella
UBPN BOD
Prevention Committee Co-Chair
Mare

Re: Need your help on important projects - Photos & Video Clips

Post by Mare »

Hi Lisa
If you can use photos I can mail you some of Frankie in his many splints, doing e stim , right out of surgery , and at 15 the end results an arm that is a lot shorter, thinner with a flaccid wrist, elbow contracture and contracted fingers and a lot of scars from 4 surgery's my email is Tinny61@aol.com just send me your address where you want them mailed too if they will help some are quite graphic as they were used in court.
Mare
Tanner's Mom

Post by Tanner's Mom »

Mare,

Thank you so very much for your willingness to share. It means so much to our community and future babies too! I will email you.

Thanks again!
Lisa
jordan1

Post by jordan1 »

Hi Lisa, when my son was 4 months old he had surgery done. He has a Global Brachial Plexus. I have some pics of him after surgery with his cast on in the hospital. If you want copies of them let me know. He is now 2 and still has no movement so i probably have some pics that show that too also i will be video taping him doing aqua therapy if you want a copy of that. Let me know, you can e-mail me at yanks002@hotmail.com and my name is Jen.
Tanner's Mom

Post by Tanner's Mom »

Thanks so much, Jen.
Talk soon,
Lisa
Tanner's Mom

Post by Tanner's Mom »

bumping up
guest222

Post by guest222 »

no names would be included, right? I can email some if that's the case.
Tanner's Mom

Post by Tanner's Mom »

UBPN will need a signed photo release form with the names of the child and parent. However, to respect identities, names will NEVER be used with any photo. I am sorry I did not clarify that in my original post.
Thanks,
Lisa
my2girls

Post by my2girls »

How do we get the photos to you?
JessicasMom
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 10 year old Jessica born on 9/6/03 with a LOBPI.
Mostly recovered, no surgery, still has remaining functional deficits
including no active external rotation.

Post by JessicasMom »

Hi Lisa,

This is Michelle. I was just coming here to post the same request, but I see you beat me to it! Glad to see the community is willing to help with providing these things!

This will certainly be a great show!

Michelle