Its been awhile have a question

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Keiarra's Mom in GA

Its been awhile have a question

Post by Keiarra's Mom in GA »

Hi does anyone one know if I can order a splint for my 8 year old daughter she is LOBPI. She is not doing therapy and has outgrown the one she has. Does anyone know of a website where I can purchase it directly without going thru an OT or PT.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated....Dylecia
mamaofsix
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Second son, Cameron, left obstetric brachial plexus injury in 2005.
Primary never graft surgery at 3 months old at St. Louis Children's Hospital
and several rounds of Botox injections.

Re: Its been awhile have a question

Post by mamaofsix »

F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Post by F-Litz »

dylecia - how have you been?

There's one problem with ordering splints online like that... I have found that with places like sammons preston the information you see on line is very limited. For example I just purchased Maia a new elbow extension splint - figured it would be easy... I followed the measurement and ordered it and it came the next day and it was HUGE and HEAVY! yowzer! I went back to the site and wondered - how could I mess up so badly? Well nowhere did it list the length or the weight...and the picture did NOT do the splint justice.

This splint was so heavy I didn't even try it on Maia... her shoulder is in bad shape -didn't want to even put it on for one second. No way!

So I still think it's best to go to an OT to get the right splint and the right fit for the right reason.

-francine
ccorkra

Post by ccorkra »

It also depends on what kind of splint you are looking for. My daughter's OT wanted her to wear a functional hand splint that would keep her from resting on the back of her hand. We went with a Benik, they are light weight and made out of neoprene. Our OT ordered a sizing kit and told us what the measurements should be and then we ordered the splints ourselves. Fairly inexpensive, about $42/each. Here is the website:

http://www.benik.com/

The customer service rep I spoke with was extremely nice. I hope this info helps!

We also live in Atlanta! Carol, mom to Lucy, 3yrs, LOBPI