School HELP

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
GAmom

School HELP

Post by GAmom »

Ok so I know this is kinda a big no no but I am trying to find a sling backpack for Brayden. I am looking for one that will go on his left shoulder. Most of the ones that I have seen online say they are for eitherside but come on. If the zipper is going to be on the bottom side while it is on his shoulder he might as well not have on. I don't want him carrying one on his right shoulder for obvious reasons and I can not carry the kind that go on both shoulders. And the rolling kind are out because with him the tend to become a weapon. So my only choice is the sling kind that go from his left shoulder to his right hip with the zipper being on the top side. I just can't seem to find one anywhere. And summer here in GA is coming to an end in about a month. If anyone knows where I can find one let me know. I am willing to pay anything. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ashley, mom to Brayden 5yrs old.
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

Re: School HELP

Post by F-Litz »

that is a hard thing to find.... maia is left bpi so we're happy that they are all rightie slings...

you may want to go directly to a backpack manufacturer

or how about something like this?
http://www.bagselect.com/bag/DUC023B/?source=googlebase

Message was edited by: F-Litz
F-Litz
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, LTBPI at age 6.5, Sensory Issues, CP, Diaphragm Weakness, Aspberger's

found one - majorly expensive though....

Post by F-Litz »

http://www.ebags.com/codi/sling_pak_ult ... lid=102584

http://www.kolobags.com/product.php?productid=516

I searched for sling backpack for left shoulder.

Message was edited by: F-Litz
GAmom

Post by GAmom »

Thanks so much. Yes it is truly hard to find lefty stuff. I told someone the other day I needed to start designing lefty stuff like bags, clothes with zippers and buttons easier accessible for lefties, etc. I have everyone I know on the look out for a bog. I am going to keep searching to see if I can find a bit smaller one. We got through this every year looking for lefty stuff in sports to bags for school. He has a really hard time zipping and buttoning so I think this year I am going to install velcro on all his pants over the buttons. Thanks!
melnruss

Post by melnruss »

Hey,
I was just online and found a website www.lefthandusa.com. It has a link for purses and luggage. Have you thought about a messenger tote? You can reverse the strap on that and it can go over either shoulder. He may be to little for one of those. I'll keep looking for you. My son has a ROBPI too and starts 3 yr old pre-k in August.

Take Care,
Melinda
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

I always used a regular backpack or a duffel bag. You can find smaller duffels pretty cheap at like Wal-Mart or something.

This reminds me, I need to start my summer search for a new back pack, I like the both shoulder ones but the straps have to be just right because of surgical scars so it takes me forever to find the right bag
Good luck on your search!
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
GAmom

Post by GAmom »

To anyone else who might be on the search for a sling back pack for the left or right shoulder. I would suggest looking at this bag

http://www.ebags.com/f_l/brick_house_sl ... 6548982009

I just got it in for Brayden. It is kinda big for a 5 yr old but has plenty of space for the years to come. It seems to be quite durable. It can be converted for a left shoulder or a right shoulder. This was a big problem for me to find one that would sling over the left shoulder but well worth the search. It has big zippers for those little hands and finger who have a hard time gripping/zipping. And it also has a very well padded shoulder strap. I love it. I can't wait to see how it works for him. Only 3 weeks until school is in here in GA. He has been asking about the bag since last Friday when I ordered it. He will be so excited. I just wanted to share just in case someone else needs the help.And also a BIG THANKS to Francine who lead me to the ebags.com site.

Ashley, mom to Brayden 5yrs old ROBPI