Pic of external rotation cast after botox

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
Cole's Mommy

Pic of external rotation cast after botox

Post by Cole's Mommy »

Does anyone have a pic they could send me of there child in a cast (in external rotation) after botox? Cole is now almost 14 months old. Cole's MRI showed that his the cartilage in his shoulder joint was "smooth, unremarkable and symmetrical with the left." and in socket! We are going to Dr. Kozin in July for the botox injections and casting. I have searched the board for botox and casting and found it to be very informative...it seems to have positive results. I just get so scared and worried when we are going to move forward. Thanks for any pics or helpful words. Nicole
Cole's Mommy

Re: Pic of external rotation cast after botox

Post by Cole's Mommy »

Sarah, (PT that works with Dr. Kozin) pieced together a pic for me to see. So now I have one if anyone else needs to see. The cast looks exactly like what it is called "body cast in external rotation."
Kaiden'smom

Post by Kaiden'smom »

Can you post the pic? We are trying to decide if we should do botox on my 7 month old. We still need to have the MRI done, to find out for sure if the botox will benefit him. How old is Cole now? How's he doing after the botox? I've heard there's a chance that they can perminately lose function in the muscles that are injected, it's scaring me into thinking we might not have it done. I just don't want to make the wrong decision and hurt my little sweet boy more than they already did to him.

Message was edited by: Kaiden'smom
Cole's Mommy

Post by Cole's Mommy »

Hello Kaiden's Mom,
I can hear the fear and overwhelming love in your voice. Oh, how I know that sound! (Just as all of us do.) Cole is now 14 months old. After his MRI his shoulder joint "looked good", so botox was suggested as his first step for his treatment plan. He has not yet had the procedure (July 24th is the date). Of course we would never do anything that we thought might hurt our precious little ones. Every choice that is made, is made with many questions and tears. I was once told that we have to know that the choices we made for our little loves were made with knowing that in our hearts they were right. Asking those questions is a great place to start. Cole will have the botox injections in his pec, lat, teres, and subscap to loosen his internal rotators in order to give the externals a chance. If you have an email address, I will forward the pic of the cast to you. (I saw that you did not have one posted.) You can email me at nbennett@paplv.esu3.org.

I am struggling, because all of Cole's life, we have encouraged him to use and love his righty and now the plan is to cast it for 3 weeks. We will always fear that we may lose what has been gained. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Nicole
(Mom to Cole, 14 mo, ROBPI)
katep

Post by katep »

Joshua was in an upper body spica cast after his ACR surgery. I think it is the same as what Dr. Kozin would use after botox. You can see it here:

http://www.wingedrabbit.com/event/picde ... &year=2005

Kate
my2girls

Post by my2girls »

Is this cast the same as what is done after a tendon transfer? My daughter's cast looks similiar to the picture posted (very cute, by the way!) but it is in a much more upright position (statue of liberty position). If it is the same type of cast, I can email it to you...I have no idea how to post pics online! Just let me know.
Cole's Mommy

Post by Cole's Mommy »

Hi Kate,
Thanks for posting...yes, that is what the cast looks like. (I too, do not know how to put pics on line :-)).
Nicole
katep

Post by katep »

my2girls,

Usually the tendon transfer cast (aka "statue of liberty") is in more abduction. I think the post-ACR cast is more just pure external rotation.

Kate