Camp 2009

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Judy-T
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Right arm OBPI One surgery at age 40 Ulnar nerve retransposition

Re: Camp 2009

Post by Judy-T »

YES, Scott. I would be very interested in a self defense class. I took one 25 years ago at the police academy for my job back then. I am always willing to learn new things. Judy
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Scott
I would be interested. I think everyone should have some method of protection. Older people are considered targets because they think we are weak.
I just never thought of taking a class because I could not do it two handed.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
smith727

Post by smith727 »

Well, maybe that is something we could look into doing then. I taught defensive tactics at the prison I worked at and have had formal training in both Judo and Aikido. I would be happy to put on the presentation.
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Yes, Scott, I'd be very interested in that. My son Scott coming with me to Camp wants to learn it too.

Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Yaritsi's Mom

Post by Yaritsi's Mom »

I have never attended one of these camps but would be very interested in attending in 2009 to learn tecniques and new things to do with my daughter for the years to come. I would very much like to have a speaker in massage therapy or hands on training sessions.

Thanks.
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

I'm new to pretty much all of this! I read the camp in 2009 is in Florida? This seems like something I'd be interested in attending! Does this camp have a more specific local yet, and a date maybe? Having never been to one, I'd like to ask if there were a forum for adults with OBPI to talk to children with OBPI, to share with them the possibilities that they may not think are in the cards for them? I can do a lot more right now than I thought I'd ever be able to do, but it came at a huge cost of pain and extreme frustration, which I'm sure you all know about, as well. I just thought that as a child, it would have been inspirational to see an adult with OPBI talk about or demonstrate something cool. We've all got talents and skills, right? OBPI can't be the only thing that defines us. It's probably an impractical idea, but it was just a thought.

-Chris 24yrs old
OBPI
So. Cal
cdmurfee

Post by cdmurfee »

Oh wait, I think I just read that 2009 is a no go. Drats.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

It will be in 2010 now. But no location has been chosen yet.

I went to the Seattle Camp UBPN in 2007 and LOVED it! Can't wait for 2010!
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

ME TO, MARIEKE!! CAMP 2010 can't get here fast enough. Camp is Lifechanging for all of us who attend. I learn soo much.not to mention have alot of
F-U-N !

Hugs,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/70
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
karategirl1kyu
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI, had surgery when I was 9- they moved muscles and tendons from one side of my arm to the other side. I can lift my arm to about my eye level, can't straigten it all the way and can't completely supinate my wrist.

Post by karategirl1kyu »

I HOPE i can attend my FIRST camp in 2010!!!
~Mel
~Mel/23/LOBPI