Cyst on BPI hand

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Cyst on BPI hand

Post by veggiebug »

Finally went to get my hand checked out. Turns out it's not Trigger Finger, it's a cyst. Similar to a Ganglion cyst. And apparently the better option for treatment is surgery. YUCK!!! My fear is it will come back even after surgery. So for today he gave me a Cortisone shot, that didn't hurt as much as I expected. And now I can't feel my finger, but I'm sure it will come back soon enough.
Anyway, has anyone had cysts on their BPI hand and is it worth the surgery?

-Traci
TinaT

Re: Cyst on BPI hand

Post by TinaT »

Traci--

Yep, I had a Ganglion cyst removed from my BPI hand about 8 years ago with NO problems at all. Well, one small problem...........another appeared 3 years ago on the same hand/wrist but in a different spot but much smaller and less painful...............

The funniest thing I remember about the whole ordeal was the Dr. instructing me NOT to bend my wrist after surgery......... I looked at him he looked at me and we both just laughed............ AS IF !!! The surgery was a breeze as was the healing process////////It was Nuttin Honey

Good Luck Tina
laceyj

Post by laceyj »

it's sad to say but i think cysts are just part of life with BPI injuries. Just keep in mind that they won't always be restricted to your BPI arm either - I had a ganglion that liked to pop in and out on my BPI wrist and when I finally had the silly thing removed another one turned up on my non-BPI arm! Drives me crazy!
veggiebug
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I weighed 11 lbs. 4 oz. when I was born.
I was delivered by forceps which resulted in my ROBPI.
I've never had any surgical intervention.

Post by veggiebug »

Can I ask why? I actually thought I remembered someone mentioning that it's connected to BPI's somehow, but couldn't find it.
Why are they common and are the chances of it coming back greater?

-Traci