Hey everyone new hear!!

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Hey everyone new hear!!

Post by hope16_05 »

Welcome Chantal!

I hope you love this site as much as I do and stick around for a while. No questions are stupid, so ask anything thats on your mind.
Again, welcome to the group!
Hugs,
Amy 21 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Chantal
Glad to see you are ready to jump on Board.... LOL.
Welcome, it seems all of us thought we were the only ones with a rare birth injury. Now that we have all found each other it has been a great support group.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Welcome Chantal!
Glad that you have found us :)
Marieke, 32, LOBPI
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
TheTrooper

Post by TheTrooper »

hey chan

I am 20 and I also have brachial plexus in my left arm.

I felt the same way when I found this site. It was good to know I wasn't the only one who had brachial plexus.
Baeta

Post by Baeta »

Hi Chantal! Welcome!

I actually knew very little about my disability so i decided to seek information. That's when I found this message board and got great advice and info. I'm 21 with my BP in my right arm (i have a locked elbow so my arm doesn't bend much)It is nice meeting others with the same injury because they can relate. Welcome again!
Beth
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

WELCOME, Chantal! (I love you name).

Remember, there are no dumb questions in our UBPN Family on anyof the Forums Mesage Boards and everyone is welcome on all Forums. I learn alot from the TBPI Boards too.

Hugs all around,
Carolyn J
LOBPI/69
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Val07

Post by Val07 »

Hey,
My name is Valarie, and I too have Brachial Plexus to my right shoulder, arm and hand. I understand about what you are going through with your injury. If you want you can email me (vchampionsablatura@islander.tamucc.edu) and I can give you some tips on coping with the day to day things about having a disability. Let me know if you have any question, and I will try to help you answer them.

Valarie