Social Security Disability

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
Ripp

Social Security Disability

Post by Ripp »

The malpractice question got me thinking about my aggravation with the Social Security Disability beurocratic fiasco and I'm wondering if anyone out there has had similar experiences or has had any success.

I was totally laid up for about 6 months recovering from multiple injuries and was home for another 6 months due to the debilitating pain. I finally ran out of $$ and had to do something. I've taken a job that pays about 1/2 of what I was making since I can no longer perform the duties required at the last job I had. Of course, Social Security denied my claim for disability twice before I ever went back to work and now I'm waiting for an appeal hearing.

Does anyone have experience with this? Are we considered "disabled enough" to qualify? I don't mind working for a living and supporting myself as best I can. I also freely admit that I think being back at any job has helped to at least sometimes take my mind off the pain but losing 50% of one's income is significant, not to mention the 12 months when there was no income at all. Am I wasting my time with this appeal process? Am I being a big baby? It's just a little frustrating to have paid into a program for more than 30 years and then get snubbed when you really need the help.

I know there are people that are a lot worse off than me and I really try to keep my perspective. Thanks for letting me vent and I welcome any comments.

Scott in Iowa
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: Social Security Disability

Post by Kath »

UBPN met with SSD a few years ago and they made a change to the Blue Book. Here is a link to bring with you when you go to your SS office.

https://secure.ssa.gov/apps10/POMS.NSF/lnx/0424580030

This change was made to help people with bpi injury file for SSD. This give the SS officials a code from the Blue Book to help you qualify.

Good Luck
Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Ripp

Post by Ripp »

Thanks Kath. You've already given me more info than my lawyer. The initial denials by SSD did note that I had one functioning arm and that was the basis of the denial so this link does support that decision. I had hoped that chronic pain might be more of a factor but that does not appear to be the case.

Pay cuts are a drag for anyone but I'm not the first person to have to deal with one. I'm also not the first person to deplete most of their savings due to medical circumstances. I am happy to be able to work at all so I need to focus on the positive.

Someone smarter than me said what does not kill us makes us stronger. We all must be superheroes. This is not a "fun" group to me a member of but I'm proud of each and every one of you, and of me too.

OK.....back to work.
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Scott
If you have only one functional arm that is a strong basis for SSD. Your only functional arm must be preserved for ADL ( Acts of Daily Living). Over use is a major problem for BPI injured. In the beginning of your injury you may not notice the pain and minor injuries heal quickly but as time goes on it becomes chronic and secondary injuries occur. I am OBPI and truly have been nagging people about preserving your unaffected arm for ADL. I woke up one day and my arm was not healing anymore from chronic overuse. I could no longer be superwoman...
That link I gave you states it does not have to be two limbs to be eligible for SSD. When UBPN met with SSA in NY we spoke with the chief Justice for SSD and he needed information for a case on TBPI injury. That is the reason they worked with UBPN and came up with this code for BPI/SSD decisions. Please appeal this decision and give them this code number. Bring a copy to your local Social Security office so that they can see it.
They were going to deny me when I filed because I had functioned so highly most of my life. I brought up ADL and important it was to preserve the use of my unaffected arm. Over work with that arm and compensation will take it's toll on you. Go fight it... no reason you should have been denied. They told you two limbs but the new codes no longer requires that for bpi.

Kath Robpi/Adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Ripp

Post by Ripp »

Kath, thanks a million. I'm already having pain in my functioning arm since I've returned to work (4 months ago). The good arm is basically in use all the time. I was fearing carpel tunnel or some other ailment that might leave me without any useable arm for at least some period of time while that's treated.
I'll continue with the appeal.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Hello Scott, My name is Wes live in PA. I was injured in 2004. Was denied my first time and appealed it and was denied my second time and had to hire attorney and it still took 20 months to be heard in front of a judge. I can relate to your frustrations with it, they are certainly eager to take money out of your check each week but when things like this happen to a person they are not so fast to help you. I won my case but wow was it a frustrating wait. Just hang in there it will work out for you. I don't know how your state is , but here in PA the wait for appeals is so they say 16-20 months. Take Care and Good Luck hope all goes well for you.
Janelle54

Post by Janelle54 »

Allsup Inc. has a 97% success rate with Social Security disability claims. My employer and The Standard, my Long Term Disability Insurance Company, hired them to handle my claim.
They started to handle my claim in January. I received a call from my coordinator on 4/18/08 to tell me they received notification from SSDI that I was approved. I have not heard from SSDI yet but I expect to next week. Their phone number is 800-383-2495. Their we address is www.allsupinc.com
I don't know their cost but give them a call.

Janelle
misery101

Post by misery101 »

I too was turned down the 1st time ,,I did not hire a lawyer but contacted my senator...got my disability the second time...your congressman can help you with out giving money to a lawyer...hope this helps
Ripp

Post by Ripp »

Thanks so much to all. I'm waiting for a callback from my lawyer and I'm feeling much more optimistic and informed than ever before. The wait for an appeal hearing is long but now I think I see a light at the end of the tunnel. Keep your fingers crossed.
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

Hi Scott in Iowa.
I'm Scott in Texas. I am sorry to respond to your quest so late in this game but here is my 2 cents and I certainly hope you have received a lot more than that by now.
There is no way, going into my third year now, no way in hell I could work. The pain alone is prohibative.
I was in the hospital when I was first advised about SSD.
I was able to arrange my application/interview via telephone. Because I was left handed and that is my BPI
I could not fill out the paperwork. I was given a date and time that I would be called. When that time came I laid the receiver next to my head and conducted everything while laying right there in my bed. Fortunately for me everything worked out. By the time I discharged myself after 5 months I was receiving my benefit. I had a large deposit in my bank account that for a month or so I mistook it for a credit limit. Imagine that? I bought a truck as soon as I discovered it. What? This is Texas. Gotta have a truck...
I sincerely hope all is well with you and everyone trying to get SSD. We certainly deserve it.
Peace out,
Scott