sling or brace for running?

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
canesfan44

Re: sling or brace for running?

Post by canesfan44 »

I have 2 slings from Fernando and they work excellent. I use it for skiing, playing basketball, running, you name it. It even kept my arm in the perfect position last year when I was skiing and took a huge jump, overshot the landing hill and ate it pretty badly, but my arm was still perfectly in the sling even though my skis were 20 feet behind me, buried in the snow. I managed to break my wrist and a rib, but my arm was still held nice and tight to my body in the sling. I didn't realize my wrist was broken for several days, I noticed the broken rib right away(I never thought breathing was a bad thing until I broke a rib). Anyway, it works great when I play basketball and can't thank Fernando enough for his slings. I've put his slings through some challenging skiing, rough and physical games of basketball and the sling have held up significantly better than I have, lol.
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Hi Blair

It is greate to hear from you and that you are back out there enjoying live and I´m still wondering how that hell you manage to play basketball, how is college going? And trying to get some feedback from the sling, in your case it is also short on the shoulder part? because Dan and Chris are your size, maybe I made a mistake with their´s and that is why did not fit them.
If you can think of any thing let me know.

Please say hi to your Dad for me and lets try to get togehter one of this years to go Skiing.

Saludos
Fernando

PD I will try to work on the slings next week so I will keep you posted
swhite1
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: Bad fall in June of 2006
LTBPI

Post by swhite1 »

http://www.alimed.com/ProductDetail.asp?style=5876
http://www.alimed.com/ProductDetail.asp ... id1=&oid2= LOOK AT THE SIZE DIFFERNCES???

You all must really take a look at this and what this company has to offer us. I'm not kidding I live in their braces. The person shown wearing the first sling you'll see is a tiny little women and the sling she has on is obviously NOT hers. It is huge. The blue and white one once properly adjusted to you is fantastic and with some like colored or light colored clothes it blends in so it is hardly even noticed.
I wear both a black one. and the blue and white one shown.
Peace out
Scott
Wow I just went and took another look and trust me these braces are NOT a large as they appear. Even still I noticed you have a choice of right or left. I believe one side fits all. The straps detach front and back so I don't see a difference.

Message was edited by: swhite1

http://freerice.com/
therunningwounded

Post by therunningwounded »

I'm running the London Marathon this year. I'm using an Omotrain sublux shoulder cuff plus a waist strap that fixes my elbow to my side combined with a shoulder strap that supports my wrist plus a wrist splint plus of course lots of velcro to hold it together. I've run up to 11 miles so far with no problem so it works for me - I can find the details of the waistband/wrist support thing if anyone interested. My history is m/bike accident nov06, two BP nerves reattached so it's pretty 'flappy' without all the straps esp. the elbow one. Omotrain is an excellent support, I wear one all day everyday, had almost no sublux at all.
Joel

Post by Joel »

Hey,

I've been trying out various running setups and yours sounds pretty promising.

Could you post a picture of that or send me one (joel.rosinbum@gmail.com)?

Cheers,
Joel
canesfan44

Post by canesfan44 »

Hey Fernando, once again thanks for the slings. The shoulder part of the sling works well for me now, I never have any problems with it anymore, I guess I grew into it.

Playing basketball is the only time it would ever slip back a little and that's most likely from bumping into to other people and what not. As for playing ball, I'm nowhere near as good as I used to be, which is hard to accept for someone as competitive as myself, but my jump-shot is better than ever. I only miss by shooting the ball a little short or a little far but drain most of my jumpers, but I can't drain three-pointers quite as easily, that's about the max distance from the hoop that I can still shoot with goof form instead of having to heave or throw the ball.
For running/jogging it works perfectly. I suggest that all of the runners out there to try and contact Fernando. His slings basically combine all of the different slings, splints, velcro, etc. that you all use into one sling made out of neoprene for perfect stretch and tightness, and Fernando and myself, along with several others(but especially Fernando), have but this sling to the roughest of tests and for myself it has come out of those tests in much better shape than me. Unfortunately, yesterday my leg, a machete, and a tree got into a bit of an altercation, and, of course, the machete won the battle. Leaving me with about 20 staples on the side of my shin. It was a deeeeep laceration, really deep, not for the faint of heart, as my buddy quickly found out while dumping hydrogen peroxide into it before passing out(I had to settle him down to drive me to the hospital). So I will have to take a break from running for a while, right now I can't even walk. Yes, I know, I'm a fool and am more accident prone than Billy Joel and a bottle of vodka. Sorry just had to share my latest story of buffoonery.
Anyway Fernando, we'll have to get together and ski sometime, but until then I need to try and stay in one piece, which sounds a lot easier than it is, for me at least.
For everyone else, get in touch with Fernando, I can not stress enough how good his slings are. They are not your average sling, they are made specifically for physical activities and are second to none.
Fernando

Post by Fernando »

Hi Blair

Can you give the measurement from the elbow to the shoulder of your sling

Saludos
Fernando
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

Here's a link to a sling that I made/use. It doesn't help with subluxation, but for running I found slings that held my arm around my chest made it hard to breathe.

http://adultswithbrachialplexusinjuries ... eply-11443

This one allows your body a lot of mobility, while keeping your elbow or arm from flapping.

I'm sure anyone with a sewing machine would be willing to help you piece it together.

Good luck--running has really helped me to feel strong again!

I'm running the Boston Marathon next month :)

Heddi
Steve M

Post by Steve M »

Fernando,
This is Steve, Blairs Dad, we measured his sling, from shoulder to elbow is 16".
Heddi, as someone who has done a couple of Ironmans, yours is a very impressive and inspirational story.
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

Thanks Steve!

I hope to do an Ironman some day, but have to work on my swim to get up to that distance (without it killing me for the rest of the race).

I've found that what makes me feel stronger physically helps empower me emotionally.

Congrats on your Ironman finishes--amazing!

Heddi