Nerve Transfer Surgery

Forum for parents of injured who are seeking information from other parents or people living with the injury. All welcome
coopsmom

Nerve Transfer Surgery

Post by coopsmom »

Hi!
My name is Chris and my son, Cooper, was born this past Sept with LOBPI. We are scheduled to have a nerve transfer on March 13th with Dr Kozin at Shriner's Hosp in Phil.

I'm just trying to find out what the recovery is like....how long?/brace or splint?/pain relief?/car seat?
Anyway, you get the picture! We have our final pre-surgery visit with Dr Kozin on this Friday, Feb 29th, and I'm sure he can answer most of these questions, however, I would like the "people in the trenches" opinion on what it is like.

Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Chris (Coop's Mom)
cassidysmom

Re: Nerve Transfer Surgery

Post by cassidysmom »

Hi Chris,
welcome to the site and I'm sorry to hear about your son's injury....
My daughter Cassidy had the nerve graph surgery a year ago now and it went really well. Cassidy's was 12 hours long and four hours in recovery. Cassidy spent almost five days in the hospital post op.They gave her tylenol three for the first three days but stopped because it was keeping her awake and restless, so they went to regular infant tylenol and it worked just as well. Cass was on tylenol the first night we left the hospital and that was it...we flew home four days later and she was doing great. The had her in a sling and so we just modified clothes to fit her and used a lot of ponchos :)
the car seat was easy too.....I hope this helps you out a bit...
take care and best wishes for a good surgery and quick recovery for your little guy,
Dawn, mom to Cassidy 22 months ROBPI
Jo

Re: Nerve Transfer Surgery

Post by Jo »

Hi Chris,
Sorry about your son. My son Nick is also LOBPI. He was casted for 2 weeks. And the car seats they make now you can easily adjust the straps on in a simple pull on the convertible seats, he didn't fit into the infant carrier. My son is now in the identical cast he was in at Primary surgery...he just had Tendon Transfer surgery on January 30th. When Nick had primary surgery and with this past surgery...motrin seemed to be fine in dealing with the discomfort. He was given tylenol with codeine for the pain this past time around but he didn't want it..he didn't like the taste..and would ask for the motrin instead.
Good Luck.
Jo(Nick's mom)