arm braces

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
sara

arm braces

Post by sara »

me again, we're new to this and we live in delaware so by that i mean my brother is something they've never seen before, i've bought him a shoulder restraint which wraps around his belly with a hand holder, he has no feeling and doesn't want to walk around with his arm dangling, any suggestions?
admin
Site Admin

Re: arm braces

Post by admin »

i've been ltbpi for a little over 3 years now, and i just keep my hand in my pocket. keeps it from dangling.
bigsel

Post by bigsel »

The only thing I can suggest Sara, is try & get your brother a sling that doesn't go round the back of his neck, because it will give him a sore back & it will do nothing for his posture, I have a sling that sits on my left shoulder & I have velcro round my chest to hold it into place, & the lower part is operated by little leavers so I can have my arm in three diffrent positions. I will try & find the web site I saw some slings on just recently & email it to you. Goodluck.

bigsel
Scottish tbpi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You can just stick your arm in your pocket, but it's a bit more difficult with some types of trousis, eg:
jeans. Leaving the arm dangling looks pretty horrible, but I found eventually (after 4 years) that I had more pain if I had my arm in my pocket than if I left it dangling, even with subluxation. However, the best thing I know of is a harness designed by a Dutchman, called the Wilmer Carrying Orthosis. It goes under your clothes, and supports your arm in a more-or-less natural looking way. I don't know how you'd find one in Yankeedoodleland, but the UK's contact is Mr Ken Spooner at Ambroise UK. Check out their website.
dennisbk

Post by dennisbk »

I had my physical therapist order one of the wilmar orthosis's for me. It's not here yet (stuck in customs) but I'll let you know how it works out.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

when i first had my bpi i used to feel the need to stick my hand in my pocket or whatever, for the last 10 yrs or so i just let it dangle, i'm used to it now, it seems normal. Letting it swing as you walk helps lots with posture etc, i never even notice it now and haven't worn a sling/support/put it in my pocket for years. I wish I'd been more laid back about it years ago.
francine

Post by francine »

hi sara - look at the way bottom of this page...
http://www.injurednewborn.com/maia/splints.html

hope this is helpful,
francine
ocnsky

Post by ocnsky »

http://www.armsling.com/ This the most comfortable slings. I do a lot of skateboarding and surfing and I used these as a starting point and made some mods to it. I know make my own, and really only use the sling when I am riding. Here is a link from my last trip to Louisville KY, http://criticalthrash.com/action/louisville/
I am the one they refer to as "slot machine"
A closer look at my sling can also be seen here
http://criticalthrash.com/action/wanchese
the pic on the bottom "robfs" and the doubles movies are me. Good luck and let me know if this helps.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Huu... great stuff the skate pics!!
But,, Rob how do you protect the shoulder and the collar bone? I dont know your, but mine is all skin and bones!

Bye
Paulo G.
Paul

Post by Paul »

yea how Paul