worried about numbness in both hands

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Mare

Re: worried about numbness in both hands

Post by Mare »

Thank you all for your prayers they mean so much I just keep trying to think positive like maybe they smudged the MRI or something stupid. Mare
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Mare
I'm glad you told Frankie, that's one less worry on your shoulders.
I'm sure he worries but just does not show it.
Kath
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Mare

Post by Mare »

Marieke
Does this l"hermitte's ever go away??? I heard the neurologist mention it to the two students that were with him when he was in the hall but he didn't say anything to me about it just said we had to wait for the test I learned for from you then the doctor.
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

It doesn't go away really, but there are meds that are given to make it lessen and not feel it. If it is MS, then you will get meds to control the relapses/flare ups, and meds to control any type of nerve pain you have (if any)...

Take a look at this site, it may help
http://www.nationalmssociety.org/site/P ... n_homepage

and
http://www.hopkinsneuro.org/ms/
http://www.hopkinsneuro.org/tm/

Marieke
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Newshoulderinco

Post by Newshoulderinco »

mare

I just recently had a total shoulder replacement due to the pain in my shoulder from my lobpi injury. But I too have the same weird numbness you are talking about in both of my hands and fingers on both arms go numb then get pins in needles in them. I noticed that it happens more when I am lying down. Have you noticed this also? You might want to try sleeping with a total body pillow on your good side. I use one and it seems to help. I also found that a warm heating pad or blanket helps also. Hope this help
Mare

Post by Mare »

No mine happens when I'm sitting and I bend my head down I feel a wave of tingling go from my neck right down to my feet and to my finger tips. It did 1st start as a constant numbness in my right hand that had the surgery then 3 days later went to my left and has stay that way 24/7. About a week after that started I was sitting in my car and looked down had got that weird tingling down my spine like when your cell phone viberates. I must say I think I screwed up going to the chiro because after that the sensation was stronger then before. Mare
Mare

Post by Mare »

Ok todays the MRI day 12:00 the doctors gace me a valuim to take since I get sick in those machines after they inject the contrast with out that stuff I'm ok but. Have to call and see if my blood tests came back also Wish me luck Mare
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Mare...I'm prayin'big time this morning.

HUGS,
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
brandonsmom

Post by brandonsmom »

Mare
Praying for you today !!!! Hoping that you get the results you are looking for quickly !!! Sometimes waiting is the worst part !!!! (((((HUGS)))))
GAYLE and Brandon 9 1/2 ROBPI

Message was edited by: brandonsmom
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Mare
Your in my prayers today.
Big prayers and hugs going your way.
Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi