Has Anyone else Had a Shoulder Replacement?

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Newshoulderinco

Has Anyone else Had a Shoulder Replacement?

Post by Newshoulderinco »

I am 38 years old and have a LOBPI injury. With in the last year I have had horrible pain in the winter time. My Doctor did an xray and told me that I had a square shoulder bone due to the LOBPI and to get rid of the pain he recommended a Shoulder Replacement. I am currently 4 weeks post op. I am curious if anyone else has had this done and if it helped them. Thanks
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Re: Has Anyone else Had a Shoulder Replacement?

Post by hope16_05 »

I cant offer you any words of wisdom but I wanted to welcome you to the boards! I hope that your recovery is going well and that this resolves all of your pain!!!
Dont forget the physical therapy after you are cleared!
Good luck and please keep us posted on how you are doing. I know of a few who are still wondering about shoulder replacement. So any info you can share would be amazing!

Hugs,
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
Newshoulderinco

Post by Newshoulderinco »

Thanks Hope16 o5, The pain in my shoulder joint is gone but my muscles are still very sore. For some reason my tricep is really sore. They started me on Physical Therapy after 10 days. I thought that was way to soon but they said that they didnt want the new joint to get stiff. I am relgious about about my daily therapy and can now curl 4lbs with my left arm after just 4 and half weeks post op. So things are looking good. Thanks again.
hope16_05
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: 28 years old with a right obstetrical brachial plexus injury. 5 surgeries to date with pretty decent results. Last surgery resolved years of pain in my right arm however, I am beginning my journey with overuse in my left arm

Post by hope16_05 »

Sounds like you are doing well! 4lbs is amazing only 4 weeks post op. I hope that the muscle pain goes away!
Good luck!
Amy 20 years old ROBPI from MN
Amy 28 years old ROBPI from MN
katep

Post by katep »

Wow, this is really very exciting. I think you are a pioneer so you might not find many (any) who've had the same surgery, but I sure am interested to hear how it goes!! (I have a 4 year old with LOBPI).

Did you usually posture your arm bent? I am wondering if your triceps are sore because now they can work better and you are using them more than they are used to? When the joint is all whacked out (that is a technical term, BTW) the long head part of the triceps are really defeated because that tendon crosses the deformed joint. That's what makes me wonder if they are just feeling "overused".

Kate