ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
jersey456

Re: ROLL CALL ( LURKERS TOO!!!!!!! )

Post by jersey456 »

23 y/o male from the jersey shore. suffered tbpi in 12/06. i check the boards to read different stories every now and then, but never posted!

i have a 'rare' tbpi the dr. says. I have full range of shoulder, elbow, and a decent wrist, but no finger movement.

im under dr. elkwoods care and have a couple tendon transfers left in my recovery process to try and regain some hand function.
ben

Post by ben »

Hello,
I was in an avalanche in dec 2007. One week ago I had a nerve conduction study and EMG. The results told us that I recieved a traction injury to my brachial plexus.

It has only been 2 months since the accident and I'm just starting realise what has happened to me. I'm intensly doing PT and OT. I severed my radial nerve from a humerus break and a nerve graft was performed. This will take sometime to heal (if it does) before I find out if the injury to my brachial plexus has effected the radial nerve at my hand and wrist. Everything seems to function fairly good accept my bicep. I can not use it at all. I'm curious if there others with similar problems.

The pain hasnt started yet, I'm curious if it ever will.
I have so many questions. Will I heal....

thankyou
ben
canada
Mary Beth

Post by Mary Beth »

Hi Ben

You have come to the right place to get answers. You should post a question. I'm kinda new too. and everyone is so great to respond to questions. as for the pain it has been almost three months for me and the pain has just started. healing is starting. I have a BP stretch injury that is affecting my deltoid and shoulder.

Post again and people with more exprience will answer. use a new subject line.

best of luck to you.
jennyb
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: January 1980 Yamaha RD200 vs 16 wheeler truck, result, 1 totally paralysed right arm. I was 21, now 54. I had no surgery, I don't regret this. Decided to totally ignore limitations (easily done aged 21) adapted very quickly to one handed life, got married, had 3 kids, worked- the effect of the injury on my life (once the pain stopped being constant) was minimal and now, aged 54, I very rarely even think of it, unless I bash it or it gets cold, then I wish I'd had it amputated :) Except for a steering knob on my car, I have no adaptations to help with life, mainly because I honestly don't think of myself as disabled and the only thing I can't do is peel potatoes, which is definitely a good thing.

Post by jennyb »

Bumping up for newbies-a number crunch is way overdue but here are the figures from the last crunching, posted on this thread in July 2007. Lots more added since then, if you're not included in this list please add yourself, then you will be included in the next lot of figures.

Figures as at July 2007 copied from my post that month.

Causes where specified break down as follows:

Motorcycle 101
Car/truck accident 30
Physician caused 26
Pedestrian hit by vehicle 10
Quad bike/ATV 9
Bicycle 7
Fall 8
Snowmobile 6
Hit by falling object/s (wall,sign,xray equipment,door) 4
Tree falling 4
Airbag 3
Virus 3
Powerboat 2
Gunshot 2
Horseriding 2
Overuse 2
Skiing/Ski lift 2
Rugby League 1
Snowboarding 1
Tumur 1
Throwing softball 1
Knocked over by dog 1
Posthole digger 1
Climbing 1
Waterski 1
Jetski 1
Playground accident 1
Football 1
Watching movie 1
Combine 1
Train 1
Work injury 1
Radiation 1
Rogue wave 1

Countries of poster where specified:

USA 160
England 25
Scotland 7
Ireland 1
Isle of Man 1
Canada 7
Australia 8
New Zealand 3
South Africa 3
Jordan 1
Italy 2
Portugal 1
Singapore 1
Israel 1
Togo 1
India 1
Mexico 1
bensmom

Post by bensmom »

I've been around for 6 months or so but never caught this thread....my husband was injured in August of '07 while riding a dual sport...left brachial plexus injury. We were initially told it was a stretch injury and would get better on it's own. But when that wasn't happening in his shoulder so we headed to Mayo and he had a nerve transfer from his tricep to his deltoid a few weeks ago.
TonyNJ

Post by TonyNJ »

Anthony, 23 y/o from Jersey. 16 mos. since injury...
Heddip

Post by Heddip »

I have a left TBPI that I received in a car accident. It happened in Mexico, but I live in the US, so which country do I count as? :)

Thanks for keeping track. It is amazing to see that there are so many of us!

I feel like I just discovered a long lost family.

Heddi Porter, Seattle, WA USA
tinachick

Post by tinachick »

hey
coolkoala85

Post by coolkoala85 »

My name is Shantel my husband Andrew was in a accident at a gold mine and now has ltbpi. He was injured June of 2006. He is still in a lot of pain exspecially in the cold. He has always been one to not take any pain meds. He is now 27, we live in Winnemucca, Nevada.
adg007

Post by adg007 »

hi all,

Andrew here, 36yo, had my accident July 1997 (motor bike as well...something different!). Right TBPI. Complete avulsion of T1 to C5. Can roll my shoulder and bend elbow slightly, not much else apart from that. Pain has become my best friend, we have the best and worst of days together (as you all know).
To any new recipients of a TBPI injury, just a few words of advice....firstly, things will get better, stay off the meds (keep busy, best pain killer ever), look after your other arm as well as the rest of your body (keep your back stong/healthy, we are prime candidates for scoliosis).
As I said earlier, things will improve and your BPI will become just another part of you........my family still give me a knife and fork at the dinner table!

cheers
Andrew

Message was edited by: adg007