worried about numbness in both hands

This board is for adults and teens to discuss issues relating to BPI since birth (OBPI).
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Re: worried about numbness in both hands

Post by Kath »

Mare

I'm glad they are sending you for MRI.
I don't have curves in my neck either.

Now let's see what's going on with you so you can feel better.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

I'm glad too like Kath that you're going to have that MRI!! :)

((((HUGS)))) for you & Frankie.
Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Mare

Post by Mare »

Well I went to a chiropractor yesterday my neck and back hurt so bad he did X-rays and said not only was my neck without curves but it was starting to go the opposite way he said there was a lot out of place from the neck to my right hip and that the tingling I was getting was when I was in the sitting position only so that meant it was pressure in that position only that a nerve is pinched then released when I stand he did an adjustment using the activator and I felt 100 percent looser and no pain but more tingling then before (NOT GOOD)I go tomorrow for the MRI but he said it won't show anything if I'm not in the sitting position. I'm so fed up with doctors they all say something different and my PT said I do have a curve in my neck she can feel it and doesn't know what they are talking about. Mare
patpxc
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: C-5 and C-6. Unable to supinate. Contracture elbow. Wrist bone underdeveloped.
Can raise forearm to mouth level. shoulder is limited in movement. Unable to put arm behind back. Secondary- early arthritis, carpal tunnel, pronator syndrome,scoliosis

Post by patpxc »

Disks can herniate for no reason than the spine is not in correct alignment and you move the wrong way. Sounds like a herniated disc or spinal cord compression. Don't wait to get it checked. Insist on an MRI
Pat
Mare

Post by Mare »

The x rays showed the disks were fine so the MRI tomorrow is looking for where the pressure is being put on the nerves and which ones but its only when I'm in the sitting position and look to the floor that I get a tingling from my neck to my toes when I'm standing or laying down it doesn't happen that why the chiropractor feels the ortho surgeon will not find anything the MRI is done laying down. I don't know if the can do them sitting up??? Mare
marieke
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI
no external rotation against gravity, can only go to 90 degree fwd flexion, no hand-to-mouth
1 surgery at age 14 (latissimus dorsi transfer). In 2004, at age 28 I was struck with Transverse Myelitis which paralyzed me from the chest down. I recovered movement to my right leg, but need a KAFO to walk on my left leg. I became an RN in 2008.

Post by marieke »

Not unless it's an open MRI where you can sit up/stand up.
Marieke Dufresne RN
34, LOBPI
http://nurse-to-be08.blogspot.com
Carolyn J
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: LOBPI. I am 77 yrs old and never had a name for my injuries until 2004 when I found UBPN at age 66.

My injuries are: LOBPI on upper body and Cerebrael Palsy on the lower left extremities. The only intervention I've had is a tendon transplant from my left leg to my left foot to enable flexing t age 24 in 1962. Before that, my foot would freeze without notice on the side when wearing heels AND I always did wear them at work "to fit in" I also stuttered until around age 18-19...just outgrew it...no therapy for it. Also suffered from very very low self esteem; severe Depression and Anxiety attacks started at menopause. I stuffed emotions and over-compensated in every thing I did to "fit in" and be "invisible". My injuries were Never addressed or talked about until age 66. I am a late bloomer!!!!!

I welcome any and all questions about "My Journey".
There is NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION.
Sharing helps to Heal. HUGS do too.

Post by Carolyn J »

Mare, I am thinking of you today, and sending a big/long prayer for you to get answers!!

Carolyn J
Carolyn J
Adult LOBPI
Kath
Injury Description, Date, extent, surgical intervention etc: I am ROBPI, global injury, Horner's Syndrome. No surgery but PT started at 2 weeks old under the direction of New York Hospital. I wore a brace 24/7 for the first 11 months of my life. I've never let my injury be used as an excuse not to do something. I've approach all things, in life, as a challenge. I approach anything new wondering if I can do it. I tried so many things I might never have tried, if I were not obpi. Being OBPI has made me strong, creative, more determined and persistent. I believe that being obpi has given me a very strong sense of humor and compassion for others.

Post by Kath »

Mare
I've been thinking about you and praying you get some answers soon.

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi
Mare

Post by Mare »

Got the report back today and it doesn't sound good they want another MRI of the brain to check for lesions and an MRI of the cervical spine with dye to check for a spinal cord tumor and for demyelination or transverse myelitis Have to wait till after Feb 25th to see the doctor so I called my pcp and am waiting to hear from him no one told me what any of this means they just handed me the report and said take it to your doctor. Mare
Kath

Post by Kath »

Mare
How cold to just hand you a report without anyone explaining it. I don't know what to say except I have been praying for you. I think you need to demand to speak to your doctor and expect someone to show some compassion and at least explain, to you, what they are looking for/at.

If I were you I would call the Neuro and as to see him sooner. If they are lesions they can help stop the zinging and make you comfortable. Call him please!

Kath robpi/adult
Kath robpi/adult

Kathleen Mallozzi