Trouble sleeping

Treatments, Rehabilitation, and Recovery
bigsel

Re: Trouble sleeping

Post by bigsel »

Hello Andrew, I have to say I can get to sleep no problem, sometimes I have the odd sleeples night with the pain, I take 150mg of amitriptilene & 500mg of nuerontin about an hour before I go to bed & it seems to do the trick. But everybody is diffrent but just keep battling on, your very young so you will learn to cope with the pain. GOODLUCK

bigsel Scottish tbpi
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Andrew,

Hi. I have a had a bpi for 24 years since I was 18 and have suffered with pain to my arm and have tried numerous drugs and methods to no avail until the last couple of years. I have found that a painkiller available without prescription called Nurofen (anti-inflammatory) works for me. I take a couple of these and within an hour I am able to sleep. I don't know if the drug has the same name in Canada I have attached a link to the manufacturers site http://www.nurofen.com/. Get your parents to check it out. As I got older I found the time between bouts of pain increased and I can say that I only have about four or five bad bouts of pain per year now.
Keep your chin up and good luck

Gaz

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Andrew: Thanx for the information. I help a guy at school who has the same condition you do..He has trouble sleeping too. He always manages to stay in a great mood. I'm glad I checked out this message board because now I know how serious a problem this is for him and I will try to make his days a little better to make up for the rough nights.

D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Andrew:
Thanx for the Information. I help a guy at school who has the same condition you do. Even though is so tired he manages to stay in a great mood. However, I'm glad I know now how serious a problem this is for him. I will try to make his days a little better to help make up for the crappy nights.

D
aliwarren

Post by aliwarren »

Hi Andrew, I have a right TBI and must say that I agree with the pillow - I position a pillow under the TBI arm so that I ma lying on my side, but it prevents me from rolling onto the TBI arm. I have found that I have a softish pillow to lie on, but it must be tucked under the back of your neck, don't let your shoulders rest on the pillow - it took many trial & error times to find the "right" position.

I too take nurofen like Gaz, & I am sure you must be ble to get it as I am in South Africa - I take the extra strength one..v.good.
I have also found out that if I take the extra dose of vitamin B [a nerve drug] it helps me to sleep. I take neurobion [extra vit B6 & B12] or just extra strength ones...

Hang in there

Ali
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi Everyone
I just thought that i would let you know how i was doing with my sleeping problem. After few nights with out sleep i decided to visit my doctor and maybe get some sleeping pills. The doctor suggested a drug Ativan (antidepressant) and it worked great . As for the pillow suggestions my PT says its not a good idea to lay on my Injured arm because of the bad circulation because of a tore artery from my accident. if anyone has anymore suggestions on sleeping keep posting other people will find them useful.

Thanks Again
Andrew